• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 parking brake issues.

BillIdaho

I recently lost my parking brake. I got underneath and discovered the inner brake lining is gone and the outer brake lining is loose on the rivets. Real loose. Luckily the drum is fine.
I went to the local Meineke muffle/brake place and tossed it up on their counter. I asked if they (or anyone else) re-lined brakes. They said no one that they knew of actually re-lines the brake shoes anymore. They advised it's a replace type of thing, rather than a re-line.
Is there a civilian replacement lining that I can buy, or something close enough that I could trim the outer dimensions and re-drill the rivet holes?
Please, some one tell me there is a cheaper way out that involves me replacing the linings myself. Re-riveting can't be that hard, I have done it on my Harley several times. I understand the parking brake is to only hold the truck stopped, NOT to be used to stop it.
And, before anyone goes off on me...I do not use it for stopping the rig.
Thanks .

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if Bill is still around... but go find the antique tractor boys. Brakes can still be relined, jusy got to find the right contact. I have an old Garwood winch and was pointed in that direction by a local Antique John Deere restorer. No idea now where that was though - 'twas a while ago, sorry.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send your core to heitmancompany.com, they are in Houston, relines on anything is what they do. Or buy new parts from Memphis Equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks