• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 recovery.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a tow bar in MD area I can use to tow a M54 with? I plan to use my Duece. I assume that will work.
Use extreme caution. 5 second gap minimum between you and any vehicle in front of you. I'd take back roads and keep the speed 15mph below any posted maximum . Pay attention to those yellow speed signs for curves and keep well below those numbers as well. Allow triple the normal stopping distance.

Be certain your brakes are connected to the m54 and that they work.

Reschedule to avoid driving on wet roads.

This is still suboptimal. Ideally you want the towing vehicle to be a good deal heavier than anything towed. Perhaps there's someone nearby with a 939series 5ton that you could bribe with fuel and steak? (Will flat tow for food!)

dmetalmiki

Towing a 5 ton with a deuce is an "incident" (at BEST!) waiting to occur. For the trouble you you COULD be in, and would regret having got into, just use something or someone with the correct towing vehicle. (weight wise). The ONLY way to keep out of "trouble"..is NOT to get into it in the first place. Jus' my 1/2 penne'th.

1bonehead

I have been completely discouraged and will listen to everyone here. If I can get some help from a 5ton I will otherwise low boy time.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have been completely discouraged and will listen to everyone here. If I can get some help from a 5ton I will otherwise low boy time.
Do not be discouraged, WE all want you to enjoy your m54, we just want you to be alive to do it and anybody that gets involved in the event, there is no point in taking unneeded risk, I am sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, you would appreciate that the owner of the m54 was not play RUSSIAN ROULETTE with your family, this would be like towing a loaded m105(or empty for that matter) with my 99 Chevy pu.

Last edited:

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not recommend towing a 5 ton with a duece. I towed the truck in my aviator from tampa to eustis fl. It was a very stress full. I had to split shift the duece just to get it started and braking was another issue in its self. Lesson learn friends with five tons are friends for life.:D

All you have to do is look at my earlier posts about me towing a M200a1 trailer with a MEP005 30kw generator behind my 3/4 ton truck to know how much trouble I would have been in. If I was closer, I would have brought my five ton and helped you out or even my old Mack R700 . But your a good four hours away. It's just too far to me. Better to hire some one with a landoll or homes 850 wrecker.

1bonehead

So, I do not think I am going to get the G744 M54 Mack. It has major cancer in the cab to the out of needing a cab and doors.
Sad it was left uncovered for so long. It was rebuilt in 1990 and could have been really nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks