• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54 top speed

Amer-team

Back to post 17. I did crank it up stationary and it will go to about 2600, but about 2100 it seems to start to run a bit rough and at 25 to 2600 it is definitely running rough. Just measured the tank and it looks like there is just about 30 gallons on board. Looks like the next mission is to run that stuff out.

Amer-team

Update time. I took it in to Organizational maintenance (a local diesel shop). They pulled the injectors and had them rebuilt. It seems one injector was clogged and a couple were out of pressure balance. Also I had a leaking injector line from the pump to the injector.

I talked to one of the junior mechanics yesterday and he said it started right up, but the senior mechanic was still not satisfied with the way it was running. Will call him on Monday to see what he thinks.

The guy at the injector shop said he thought the Injector pump should be okay if the engine is starting well. It has never had a starting problem.

So we are at new filters and rebuilt injectors. Will keep you guys posted.

Amer-team

Time for an update. Injectors were serviced as previously reported. Injector pump was taken out and sent for a rebuild. It does start nice and purrs now. the fuel return line also had a kink in it and a couple of other lines including one injector line were also replaced.

I took it up to 50 and it was a bit past redline. It seems to run in the 45 to 48 range at about 2600 RPM. It does have a stencil on the dash that says Max. Speed 50 and I am pretty sure they meant it.

Thanks you guys for the help and the suggestions on this problem. Now it is time to get on other issues like wipers and maybe an airpak rebuild.

Amer-team

It will be at AFD at Ft. Lewis on May 21, representing the 80th Ordnance and their participation in Desert Storm, 20 years ago. There is a possibility that that this truck went over.

Amer-team

Contact Kate at MWR Ft. Lewis. Her number is 253 967 5776.
I know members of the NW Vehicle club will be there, Friends of Willie and Joe, and Friends of Kilroy.

It looks like we will have about 3 to 6 people and about that many vehicles doing a display for Desert Storm. We have been gathering our chocolate Chip gear and various other items pertaining to that excursion.

You will need to furnish her with Full name and date of birth to get on the roster list for admittance to this event. I am sure you could tuck your truck in the historical vehicle section.

kastein

My M54A2 runs about 55-56 if I am going downhill with a tailwind and my foot to the floor in 5th. I think I can probably hear the bearing caps stretching at those RPMs though so I try to keep it 52 and under.

Amer-team

This truck has the LDS 465-1A engine and I think someone said this is the small turbo? does yours have the large turbo? That may be a bit of a difference. This is a 1968 and maybe there were gearing differences. I am satisfied with a solid 45 MPH.

Amer-team

Yes sir. That is the current plan less mechanical issues. Got it out and up to 50 last weekend, but is seems to cruise pretty well about 45. Will be seeing about getting the cargo top on it next weekend on Sunday. the sticky brakes seemed to have cleared up with some tool oil applied to the Airpack.

Amer-team

right now it looks like we will be pulling out of the Martin Way Park n ride at 0715. think that is exit 109 I-5. We will be going in the Dupont Gate. Will be leaving my house about 0615

Amer-team

What ever works best for you. We will be meeting up with the Friends of Willie and Joe group, so the WW2 rigs will lead and we will follow up. I really like to pull rear guard with the 5T. With a small jeep on the interstate, people will come right up on you at 70. With the 5T, they pull over and give you room.

Amer-team

For a heads up, you will find that everyone in this group will be appropriately unformed up for the period that they are representing. Right now it looks like we will be wearing Chocolate chip uniforms. My truck was an 80 Ord BN. truck and the 80th had DS time. We will also be doing a ground display of equipment of the era.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks