• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A1 Wrecker Problems

JMOFF

Was unloading a very large boiler for my neighbor with my M543A1 when a gear box went out that puts power to the crane. Now its not the gear box that rotates the crane but it just so happens that it was rotated almost around to the 90 degree position when it lost power. Now I have no hydraulic power at all to the crane and I am looking for a way to swing it back to the parked position and retract the boom, which is extended about 5 feet. I was wondering if anyone had run into this problem because I would like to get it straightened out before even getting in to repairing the gear box. Thanks for any ideas ya'll can give me.

Csm Davis

Not sure on your model but look at the turn table motor and see if it has the drive that comes out the back I believe that you can turn that to manually rotate the crane as to retract the boom I think you are stuck with it out.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......... as to retract the boom I think you are stuck with it out.
... get a clean oil barrel/buckets, remove the return hose and put over/in buckets (may have to use some pvc pipe to channel it if can't get buckets close enough), crack the supply hose to allow air in, then use a come-a-long to collapse the cylinder/it may return by gravity if the boom is elevated.
You could also do this for the slew motor - don't need a bucket, just some rags or small catch pan as the capacity of the motor isn't that big. Disconnect/plug both hose connections. May take a little effort to slew boom back around. Could tie the end of the boom back to a tree and drive forward slowly and turn as appropriate.

Last edited:

JMOFF

Thanks for the ideas, probably gonna have to drain all the fluid anyway. I'll be giving you a call when I find whats broke Dave.

AMGeneral

If it has the proper bed(pics would help) there is a square " external drive" on each hyd motor for the swing and hoist that you can turn with a 12 point socket attached to a impact gun or ratchet.

It will be about 3/4 in diameter and square on the back of each hyd motor,assuming it has the later style motors.

I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks