• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 finally home from drum. Thanks Doghead.

joshuaz223

finally got the ok to pick up the wrecker from Ft Drum and the weather decided to give us a break and temps were up to 9. better than the -30 of last years recovery. we first installed a battery tray with new batteries, checked and topped off the fluids and putt on new generator belts. it took three small shots of ether to get the the motor to stay running but it cleared right up with very little smoke.we then checked the tire pressure and made sure everything on the truck was secure. first few miles were rough until the tires started to warm up and become rounder. stopped at the Tilted Kilt to reward Doghead with lunch and a view. that was our only problem of the trip. truck would not restart. after three attempts i pulled the kill out to see if there was any resistance and sure enough there wasn't. so DH opened up the access cover and i crawled up on the struck and reached in and pushed the kill back in. DH then pressed the start switch and it fired right up.

overall the trip went well and the truck was much better than i expected. Dh said we got to 52 mph. which was a surprise to me as the spedo didn't work and the engine would not exceed 2500 rpm. felt a lot slower.

now that its home we will do a complete service and inspection. then play with it. looking forward to abusing something with it:shock:. here are some pics.

Attachments

zout

DH is a straight up person - I thoroughly enjoyed our business dealings and our slight times we get to hang out at the rally.

Did ya make him wear his wig in the truck and squeel like a banchie on the trip ?

Great looking MV.

joshuaz223

Is that a wig? i thought those were his real side burns. i figured the crappy voice was from being dead so long, even the king has to decompose a little.

played with the truck a little, checked out the winches and boom control. moves around nicely and quietly. both hand throttles are stuck and all the outriggers are stuck in. pulled one out today with a come-a-long. put it on the bench and tore it apart then cleaned and lubed it. a little rusty and old frozen grease. works well now. three to go.

the required pics.

Attachments

joshuaz223

hyd hoses don't look bad. i have a friend who has all the equipment to make hoses so i can at least keep the price reasonable. all the radiator hoses are very rotten and cracked that will be one of the first things i do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks