• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 wrecker joins the family

groundog

:beer:congratulations---if you ever get to Phoenix agaiin our swap meet is Jan 26-27 2013 at the Peoria Sports complex---we our grew the old Papago site---be good to see you again---we were at the brothers a week ago----

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the braking problem. The master cylinder is the issue. I pulled the master and found it full of goo in the bottom. This is keeping the fluid from returning to the resevior causing a lock up of the wheel cylinders. I also found a wet front brake line and replaced that as well. Brakes feel good and seem to be working fine.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
windshield work

I took out the front windshields from the truck last week. I disassembled the frames and got out the cloudy glass. The passenger side was pretty rusty as you can see by the window lock shown below. BTW, I could use one of those if anyone has a spare. :razz:

I run a glass plant so I cut some Lami a few weeks back using some dimesions I got from G503. The glass fits the frames perfectly.

I painted the frames 24087 with Rapco rattle can. I like the color so I'm going to go with this on the entire truck. I took the Behr paint codes to H.D. yesterday and got a couple quarts made so I can test the color and figure out how much thinning it'll need before it will go thru my cup gun. I'm gonna use an air gun versus an airless sprayer.

I'll post some pics etc on how I sealed the glass into the frames.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After changing the master cylinder, I still hadn't resolved my brake issues. I went ahead and replaced the airpack and all 6 wheel cylinders. Took a bit of time but now I've got reliable brakes...man those wheels and brake drums are heavy!!!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Cool. I had worked on the master cylinder and only temporarily cured the brake issues, so I always suspected there was evil lurking elsewhere in the brake system. I think you have finally exorcised it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
update: 4 years of sanding; now it's time to paint

I can't believe it's been 4 years since I acquired this wrecker. Got the brakes completely redone, now no issues at all. All interior canvas is re-done. Crane cab canvas re-done. New data plates for crane, winches etc. I've been sanding on this truck for what seems like "forever". None the less, It's finally ready for paint. 24087 is my color of choice. I should finish it over the upcoming long weekend. From there, it's bumper markings, stars etc.paint 1 seat [1024x768].jpgpaint 2 parts [1024x768].jpgpaint 3 ps front [1024x768].jpgpaint 4 ds front [1024x768].jpgpaint 5 ps door [1024x768].jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike - labour of love - nice to see it coming along. Are you going to reproduce the black/yellow stripes on the outrigger feet/bumper as per delivery pics? Looks a lot like the ones the RAEME had in Viet Nam (Australia army engineers).....

Howard.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howard,
Yes I will be reproducing the black and yellow stripes on the outrigger feet, bumpers etc. she might also get a yellow nose. I'm also planning to install an M49 gun ring [thumbzup]

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
base color complete

Took advantage of the long weekend and finished the base color. It took all 3 days this weekend to get it done. Man, there are a lot of nooks and crannies on this thing. Total paint needed = 4 gallons. Total hours to paint = 45 hours.

After the paint cures for a bit, I'll add the black and yellow safety stripes as well as the yellow nose. From there, it's time for stencils and stars.paint 7 ds sideshot [1024x768].jpgpaint 8 ps front [1024x768].jpgpaint 6 ds rear [1024x768].jpg

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
drilled and installed the crane control data plates. Dataplates.net made the plates but they don't come with the holes so I cross-drilled each data plate to match the original. Very happy with the quality of the reproduction plates.crane data plates 1 [1024x768].jpg