• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M548/113 track adjuster help

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,
The Museum has a couple of M113's and a 548. All run, but can only move back and forth in a straight line due to the track adjusters not holding pressure. I have the TM's and it looks like a no brainer to rebuild them. All I need are the kits :roll:. The repair kit p/n is 5703829. Does anyone have a lead on where or who I can contact to get 6 kits?
TIA, Will

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn! We can get the track to the proper tension, but it bleeds off very quickly, as in the first time it rolls! It is a grease type, you just pump a cylinder fill 'till the track is at the proper ht...the ones in the PS Mag image. It is just a mess of grease seals in the cylinder. I think they are hard or gooped up of something. I'd like to find at least one kit before I take one apart to see what's wrong with it.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, I'm not at all familiar with these tensioners but is that something you can take to a hydraulic repair shop and have rebuilt? These shops can usually make custom o-ring, seals and wipers.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dunno. I think i'll take it down myself. First for the learning of it, second, the Museum is on a VERY limited budget. I am a well versed mechanic so I'm positive I can do it, i'd just like to get the correct stuff. You are correct, the will most likely be a civi place that has parts. I'll just tear it down and find out. I'll snap some pics as I do.

abh3

Pull one and take the seal/guts to a GOOD hydraulic shop, you'd be amazed at the variety of o-rings and seals available off the shelf. I do this before ordering expensive seal kits from Komatsu, JD, etc stealers, I mean dealers... Who knows, it might just be standard SAE o-rings for seals!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, got a chance to remove and dis assemble one of the adjusters today. The TM says to break track and disassemble the tensioner wheel...well I guess if you have deep pockets like Uncle Sugar, you can do that and not have to worry about excess repacement items. Ended up removing the two upper bolts from the front mount, loosening the lower bolt, pushing the adjuster wheel rearward and at the same time, using a tankers bar to pivot the fwd mount upward to gain access to the bolt behind the adjuster. Came out easily. Disassembly was a breeze. Now all we have to do is find some packing. There is a local vendor I used to get packing for the chassis dyno shafts for, I will steam the parts real good and take them over to them to see if they can match thing up. I should be able to get the o-rings at work. More pics to follow and I will put the o-ring info and packing info...if I can find it :roll: there too as soon as I get it. The grease was like hard wax and there was a nasty dark goo in front of the piston where there should be only air.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting Will! Working on odd vehicles does not produce a lot of responses, so thanks again.:-D

Edit: Oh, yeah, could you expand on this "I will steam the parts real good", please.

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steam clean them with 300+ degree water/steam. They'll be squeaky clean! It will also turn the grease that has solidified back into a liquid so it "disappears".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks