• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M548A1 -- What Shaft Fits the Splined Output Hole on Back of XFer Case?

TSJim

Hi All!

On the back of the transfer case on the M548A1, under the cover on the left (on the driver's side), there is a splined output shaft hole. It is under a cover with 4 bolts.

I have attached a few pictures and a drawing of the spline hole.The dimensions of this shaft are as follows:

Major ID: 1.5"
Root ID: 1.313"
Teeth: 14

Is there a common shaft that fits this spline? Maybe a certain PTO? I'm looking for a name or spec that I can use to order a shaft to run a piece of equipment off that splined hole.

Bonus question: What is the RPM ratio of this output shaft compared to the engine's RPM?

Bonus question #2: What was this output shaft originally used for...was it for the high output generator for the comms version of the vehicle?

Thank you very much!

--
Jim
spline_drawing.jpgspline_photo_1.jpgspline_photo_2.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is where the M1015 EW carrier has the generator drive attached. That's the only answer I know. My 1015 still has all that attached.

deuceman51

Since we are on the subject, do you guys have any good leads on parts for the M548A1? I might need a tailgate for one of mine and some other odd and end body parts. Have searched old posts here, but that didn't yield much.