• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54a1 Mack

5tonmackENDT673

I just picked up an m54 with a ENDT 673 Mack in it. It skips a little for the first minute or so then clears right up and runs great so im not too worried about it. Im thinking i may have a small bleed back issue but i haven't looked at it yet. The truck is overall in pretty good shape but is missing the bed and i would like to put a flatbed with a crane on it for moving PT 6x6s and other lumber. Does anyone know if the power steering pump is big enough to run a crane off of and what the pressures and GPM are? It looks fairly big but i also dont want to interfere with the power steering. If not what are my alternatives to run a pump off of other than a vbelt? Thanks!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there any truck salvage yards near you? It is a good possibility you could find used parts and install them. Including the pump and tank. You'll need to make or get made new hoses anyway.

Shawnb1976

Maybe you guys can help me, i feel as if my engine is missing... maybe, im not a diesel guy at all but the 673endt in my m39 lopes pretty hard and smoothes out but even then it sounds and feels like its missing especially while driving, do these engines run that way, i think it should be smoother. Are there injector rebuild kits for these motors, i cant track any down, any other ideas? Any help would be greatIMG_0550.jpeg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you think it's got a miss, go to harbor frt and buy a non contact thermometer. At cold start, hot is more difficult to pin point and if you run it and let it sit, heat soak comes into play causing a cooler spot to soak up the heat from other areas, measure the exh. temps on the manifold where the exhaust port is. It is normal for the outer, 1-6 to be cooler, 2-5 warmer and 3-4 warmer. The temps should be close, example 1, 150, 6, 145, 2- 165, 5 170, you get it. Not normal is 2 at 150 and 5 at 80. 5 is your missing cylinder. You can do it with just your hand, you will feel the difference or wet your finger and see how long it takes for the wet spot to go away, the one that stays on the manifold is you issue.

Be aware, a miss or low cylinder contribution can be caused by high fuel restriction, low fuel pressure, valve settings or a component failure like a burnt/bent valve, bent rod, scored piston. Those 3 will usually be accompanied by white smoke.

I am not up to speed on the ENDT but I believe that the injectors are pintle type. They are just springs and shims inside that adjust the pressure on the pintle so it opens and closes at the correct pressures. You can't rebuild them without the pop tester. I also think they have a Bosch style fuel pump, might be wrong, I can look tomorrow, but they, most all types of those pumps, use a device that regulates pressure in the gallery of the pump. Low pressure there can cause what is felt and sounds like a miss, but it is low pressure in the gallery causing a non precise injection event.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you guys can help me, i feel as if my engine is missing... maybe, im not a diesel guy at all but the 673endt in my m39 lopes pretty hard and smoothes out but even then it sounds and feels like its missing especially while driving, do these engines run that way, i think it should be smoother. Are there injector rebuild kits for these motors, i cant track any down, any other ideas? Any help would be greatv
the 673's don't lope (except a little in very cold weather at first startup) .. They run smooth and powerful (and make beautiful music).. the 1st place to inspect is your entire fuel system, including age of fuel .. Will Wagner is correct, a laser thermo will help determine which cylinder(s) are colder, and pinpoint other possible issues..

BTW, yours looks like the same Maine truck I almost bid on last year (but didn't because I am supposed to be selling, not buying) ..
It was at a local FD, it was listed on Municibid or GSA auctions , IIRC

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks fairly big but i also dont want to interfere with the power steering. If not what are my alternatives to run a pump off of other than a vbelt? Thanks!
others here are correct, the PTO is an industry-standard SAE.. Your tranny is a basic spicer design with one minor variation (air shift poppets).. The common-most spicers of your design (without poppets) were put in civilian trucks of the 1950's to early-80's, often driving an eaton 2-speed rear axle .. Look for 1960's-80's ford 7000-8000 (700-800 too) dumps, IH loadstars, fleetstars, S-series dumps, and whatnot.. Plenty of them sitting around for parts at farms, yards, construction outfits, etc .. craigs;ist, epay, etc.. you will find them, they are out there in the $500-range .. Over the years I have seen tons of them sitting in junkyard buildings or at construction outfits or quarries on shelves or pallets complete with shafts etc.. I might even have one in storage from a big 1960's R-model IHC

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing I'd do is a compression test. If that shows fairly even across the board, I'd have the injectors rebuilt. Lots of places in the US can do it, usually it is a piece of junk that made it into one after a filter change or some such operation. In a high-mileage situation, the tip of one may be coked up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks