• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54a2 air service and emergency

sidewinder

I am a NEWBIE and just got a 5 ton m54a2
I did not get a manual as yet and wanted to activate the service air on passenger side front. How is this done as there is no air valves that I can see with out crawling under truck. I need service air for inflation.Truck air is up to 120 lbs but not air in front. There is no hand halve there so I assume the is a valve somewhere else. The air horn on driver side has a valve but no air comes out when opened.

Westech

CPL
I would get the manual ASAP!!!! Your going to need it. there should be shut off valves just under the front bumper or right behind the valve. take a look. and as for the no air at the horn? that dont make very much sense, that should be a straight shot. But trace the lines back and look.

sidewinder

I could not be using the correct terminology on the sir horn. I am referring to the coupling that the air hoses hook up to just behind bumper and on the front of fenders.

Jake0147

RE: Manual for M54a2

you shouldn't need "service air" for inflation. That line is only charged when the brakes are applied. The emergency air line is the one that's charged all the time and is used as a handy air source. It's been talked about quite a bit for another reason, if I remember correctly, the front service line should have a vented dummy cover and no shutoff valve, the emergency line to the front does have a shutoff valve. Is your air hose long enough to go to the rear of the truck? those both have a shoutoff valve,are very easy to find. Only the emergency line will have air when you open the valve.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Manual for M54a2

IIRC there should be a check valve in that front line that won't allow air to come out. Use the RR gladhand for air or the valve under the dash on the passenger side. Download the entire 211 series of manuals. Quick explano on manuals. If it ends in -10 its the operator manual. Ends in 20 or 34 is unit maintenance or DS GS maint. If it ends in P its a parts manual.

sidewinder

the front service should and does have vented dummy cover and no shutoff valve, and the emergency line on the front does have a shutoff valve. My hose is long enough to go to the rear of the truck but the rear air couplers have been removed. My deuce has been cut down to a single axle truck with raised and shorter body for larger tires.

I downloaded the manual some member posted and see the air flow system and trace the lines. Much appreciated.

As I see it as you mentioned the front air air couplers on front bumper are for another vehicle to provide air into the the truck.
The driver side with hand valve is for providing air into the trucks air tank and system. The passenger side is for air provided to the trucks brake system from truck that would be towing the truck in rear.
Confirm my thoughts that NONE of the air couplers on front bumper can provide accessory air to a air hose only rear air couplers can do that.
Rob

Jake0147

It sounds reasonable fro the front ones to be unavailable for "outgoing" air, the only one I can say with absolute certainty has to provide this air (if it's functioning) is the rear one.

So your five ton has air to the back, and a valve, but no coupler? you can use anything that will screw on there, just do it finger tight so it comes back off easily too. Pipe fittings from the home desperate should get you there for a few bucks. For that matter, glad hands are very inexpensive at a local truck repair shop, Napa and many other parts stores probably have them, sometimes for less than the pipe fittings.

sidewinder

rear air

The rear air line is caped. When chassis was shortened the line was cut and capped. It has no coupler there. I am going to get a coupler from NAPA as you mentioned.

This sight has many helpful members and resources. In a short time you have helped me allot. I will follow some threads for info on parts supplies and truck needs.
Thanks
Rob

BEASTMASTER

RE: rear air

on the inside firewall near the steering column si a small valve that you can put a air hose coupling right on and is charged whenever the tanks are.just open or close when not in use

Jake0147

RE: rear air

If there's no valve either, you'll want to have that. If it's more than a simple screwed on piece, and trailer brakes are not an issue, you might consider where and how you want to connect. It might be just as simple to put a shop airline connector somewhere in that case. You can study the manual or consult with the guru's here, there's continuous air quite a few places that you can get ahold of for this. Just make sure you have a shutoff valve BEFORE you transition from proper air brake plumbing to shop air plumbing.