• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54a2 Front engine mount

sidewinder

I was out for a drive yesterday with 5 ton M54a2 and heard noise up in engine compartment. The truck to me is fairly new and one more noise is one more noise.

The noise was coming from fan hitting bottom of shroud and fan blade was making contact. I first thought the front engine mounts dropped. I checked front mounts out and it does not seem to be too much collapse of the mount and the bolt that is through the middle does not seem to be loose in rubber mount. Which leads me to the shroud if it was not properly installed. I will check it out further today.

Any ideas here what might be happening?

Any one know where to get front engine mounts from for M54A2? ... _._

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the mount on the engine. I have seen the 8 capscrews break and that lets the front drop down. Take pictures of what you find.

MotorTMan

This happened to me earlier. Check thr rubber buffer mount between the TOP of the radiator and the engine. Mine had cracked through, causing the radiator to lean forward on brake applications, and steep downgrades causung the fan to contact the lower end of the shroud. Its an easy fix, and you can get them from Saturn. Hope thats the problem.

Russ

sidewinder

Re: RE: M54a2 Front engine mount

MotorTMan said:
This happened to me earlier. Check thr rubber buffer mount between the TOP of the radiator and the engine. Mine had cracked through, causing the radiator to lean forward on brake applications, and steep downgrades causung the fan to contact the lower end of the shroud. Its an easy fix, and you can get them from Saturn. Hope thats the problem.

Ive been out check things out. I found the shroud had a tack weld that is cracked and letting the shroud touch the fan. I moved it to position and put a tack weld with a MIG welder. I have a 1/4" clearance but on top there is about 1" on top between fan blades and shrould, stills seems to low for me. One thing about this 5 ton everything to repair seems a day project nothing here small.
Rob ... _._