• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 Super Single Wheels?

1985mustanggt50

I have searched all night to no avail! I am picking up my first MV friday. Its a multifuel m54s2 cargo truck. I want to put singles on it. What is the biggest tire I can fit on stock 5t rims? Searcg shows a few people running 14r20 but I would like to run 16r20s

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1600s will fit fine. Hemtt rims or standard 5ton bolt together rims will work fine. I think the lmtv rims work too.

dogtags

The Museum has a 5-ton with 16x20 Goodyears (hemmt wheels/tires) on it. You get a few extra MPHs out of it and people think it looks pretty tough.

~Robert

Last edited:

rrrr

I have a friend that has 16's on his M54. It looks great ! See attached pic, his is the OD one :)

My M35 has 395's on HEMMT's.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
16.00s are nice just wouldnt put it in much mud. not enough room between the tires to clean off and they just maul up.

M813A1

The thing about the 1600 on a 5 ton is that you would get the extra mph but you will loose the pulling power of the engine because the tires are to tall. I had 1400 on my M813 and I liked the look and the extra speed but I lost the pulling power going up hills that sucked !!\

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Here are some pictures of my truck. I am in the process of doing the conversion from 11.00s to 16.00s. I just gotta get the tires mounted up tomorrow. I sold my 11.00s on the wheels for the price it is going to cost me for 8 16.00s so I will have a few spares.

My concerns are :
Should I run the wheels flipped on the rear? Or put em on like I would the front? I am thinking they will rub on the rear though if I put them on like I am the front.

I assume I should go buy new lug nuts for the rear like what are on the front? Or how should I bolt the hubs on with the budd capps? Or put the budd capps on and then slide the wheel on and use the original budd nutts? Cant seem to find an up close picture of the rear wheels when mounted.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Whell fitting

Simply replace to fronts as is, and also put the rears on as is minus the inners. Use the square wheel "nuts" to fasten them on.

I did my deuce this way.

Having them as inners retained gives a Really skinny stance.

This is ok up 1400x 20, I wonder if 1600s might stick out too much tho'..?

P.s. A picture of the deuce..where you can see all iv'e done is to Remove the inners.

Attachments

Vintage iron

1400's are the biggest you can go with out changing studs or the front tires rubbing the steering arm. I have 1600's on my truck this is how I know. I really want 1400's. But I couldn't find any good ones. Most of them out there are sun faded, dry rotted or have uneven wear. Always buy local if you can or buy new if you can find them.

Al Capone

Question about the statement about changing studs ? Can we change to larger studs ? My 5 ton has a set of concrete truck wheels on it . The fronts are the wider rims and tires . Factory 5 ton lug nuts seem to sink pretty far into rim ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks