• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2 VS. M35A2 (winter driving)

b money

Hello all, after years of reading and looking and learning I have finally narrowed my MV search down to 2. The classic M35A2 or the bigger brother M54A2. I want a multi fuel so the 800 and 900 series was out for me and a manual trans is more than a must have. I understand the multi's are low on power and to be honest for what I'm going to use it for I think I can live with that. Most of my use would be pure fun and messing around. Illinois winter weather would be my first reason to have either, and maybe some trails in the summer and the odd thing here or there to haul. Do I need a 10 ton on road capacity? No. Could I potentially use it? Yes, for hauling donation material for an animal shelter, plus I Promise I could find other stuff for it. Right now the only things besides extra money holding me back from getting a truck is that I technically live in town(1000people rual) and I don't own my own land to store it on but storing it could be worked out. And also I don't have a shop or large tools for the 5 ton, although my dad has been a diesel mechanic his whole life so small tools and knowledge I have. I know and have read the vs. threads before but I keep coming back to its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Plus who doesn't like things bigger haha

So basically when it comes down to it which one would be better for someone that doesn't have a full shop but could potentially use a 5ton and also NEEDS a winter beast?

on a side note I drove to work on Monday with 3/4 of the road snow drifted 3ft high, on snow and ice pack at -35 wind chill. I thought to myself a 6x6 would make this a whole lot more comforting, hence the search has begun.

vtdeucedriver

Hello all, after years of reading and looking and learning I have finally narrowed my MV search down to 2. The classic M35A2 or the bigger brother M54A2. I want a multi fuel so the 800 and 900 series was out for me and a manual trans is more than a must have. I understand the multi's are low on power and to be honest for what I'm going to use it for I think I can live with that. Most of my use would be pure fun and messing around. Illinois winter weather would be my first reason to have either, and maybe some trails in the summer and the odd thing here or there to haul. Do I need a 10 ton on road capacity? No. Could I potentially use it? Yes, for hauling donation material for an animal shelter, plus I Promise I could find other stuff for it. Right now the only things besides extra money holding me back from getting a truck is that I technically live in town(1000people rual) and I don't own my own land to store it on but storing it could be worked out. And also I don't have a shop or large tools for the 5 ton, although my dad has been a diesel mechanic his whole life so small tools and knowledge I have. I know and have read the vs. threads before but I keep coming back to its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Plus who doesn't like things bigger haha

So basically when it comes down to it which one would be better for someone that doesn't have a full shop but could potentially use a 5ton and also NEEDS a winter beast?

on a side note I drove to work on Monday with 3/4 of the road snow drifted 3ft high, on snow and ice pack at -35 wind chill. I thought to myself a 6x6 would make this a whole lot more comforting, hence the search has begun.
Here is a FYI, you are specific to a Multifuel? Just let it be known that many of these trucks have been "DE-Multifueled" per say by the removal of the Fuel Density compensator on the Injector pump. If your gong to do something like Bio or mix with motor oil..........I would not do it. If your looking for a nice easy all around truck, I would go for the M-35 for what you want to do. As far as working on the M-54, there is really no difference because of the size in my eyes.
Ive owned both and if your OK with feeding the 5 ton at 5MPG then go for it but to play around in the snow and haul some stuff around. I'd again do the M-35.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I disagree with the statement "the FDC being by-passed makes it not a multifuel" But, I do agree that I'd lean towards a deuce in your case. The power steering is nice though! (I have both)

vtdeucedriver

I disagree with the statement "the FDC being by-passed makes it not a multifuel" But, I do agree that I'd lean towards a deuce in your case. The power steering is nice though! (I have both)
By definition is it not the FDC that make the engine a Multi Fuel? Sure it may burn it........but

162tcat

I didn't bypass my FDC but I only run clean diesel for the longevity of the engine, but I like to keep my options open. ..

b money

Thanks for the heads up, a few years ago a looked at a deuce with an LDS the had the FDC bypassed for $4300 in great shape. I should have bought it but oh well. Also the FDC can be put back into service correct?

also I agree power steering on a 19,000+ lbs truck would be nice. What are your reasons for suggesting a deuce over the 54?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The FDC (Fuel Density Compensator) only regulates the fuel based on it's density, to maintain an even power output.

It is not needed to burn multiple fuel.

This has been covered in great detail, many times in the past.

gimpyrobb

By definition is it not the FDC that make the engine a Multi Fuel? Sure it may burn it........but
The FDC's only function is to get the same horse power out of different fuels. The motor can run different fuels because of its compression, piston design, and injector angles.

b money

The FDC's only function is to get the same horse power out of different fuels. The motor can run different fuels because of its compression, piston design, and injector angles.
cool I did not know that.

so it seems everyone thinks a deuce would be a better choice for me. Why do you think so? Is it better at something as compaired to the 54?

gimpyrobb

Parts are more readily available(and cheaper). My 5ton is a pain to find body parts in good shape for cheap(I am the cheapest). If you could find a tractor or cargo 5ton in good shape, I say go for it. Another thing is, if you want a winch truck, buy a winch truck. I added a winch to my deuce and it was a pain.

b money

That makes pretty good sense. Here a few questions what is the general MPG of the 54 with an lds? I understand the deuce is about 8-10 on a good day correct? I have pretty good avalibility to WMO WVO etc(why I want a multi) does MPG change much running alternate fuels?

Also I've been looking for a M39 series trucks for sale off and on and there tough to find. When did they start surplusing them out? And when where they gone?

one more for the time being, what is a general price for a M54A2 in generally good running condition?

gimpyrobb

My 5ton is a 53 International Harvester wrecker, same body style different weight. I never look at MPG of any of my trucks. I've heard a deuce gets twice what a 5ton gets. I run alternate fuels in both trucks. No clue on price, I'd start at scrap value and go from there.

b money

Ok I think I'll look for a M54A2 in good shape with a winch and if I can't find one ill go for a M35A2. Because the more I think about it why not just get a 5ton? Everyone has a deuce haha plus as much as I will probably drive it mpg wont matter much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks