• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M54A2C Pictures Page

M35A2

rmgill said:
The Vinyl tops are original. That top new is ~$700 from GMA cover Corp. They sell to civilians too.

M54 5 ton with Winch, Hard Top, 3 Color Camo paint (looks good), 300 hours, drop side, rear Cargo Cover, $10,000 seems good to me. I paid $9,500 for my M813A1 dropside that was without a cover for cab or cargo or a winch.

A 5 ton with a winch, good paint, good engine, couple of minor issues, drop side, is a pretty good price. Any tools and such? CES as you lads call it. Oh, the winch chain needs to be rigged through one of the two front lifting shackles and then the hook hooked onto the other one. That way there's no chance of it catching on anything as you drive offroad. Look at any of the deuces or 5 tons in the gallery for how that's done. Theres a PS that shows the same stuff.

I will find out when I get hold of the guy, so I can go up and test drive it. Thanks for your input Ryan. What sort of tools come in the CES for this truck? (Complete Equipment Schedule) :)

I think it's one of the best I've seen come up for sale in a while. But I'm not bothered with looks. The mechanics is what im interested in. I will keep you posted. By the way, have you got a website address for that GMA cover corp?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is the winch supposed to have a pulley assembly on top of it.
Yeah, i think all 5 tons should, but I might be wrong.

Here's one:

M35A2

Clinto,

Thats what I thought. It is also missing the little side vent in the side of the hood. It wouldn't be a problem in the States. But I doubt I will be able to get on of those winch pulley assemblys over here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That assy on top is called a level wind and its NOT on alll 5 tons. It should be on all 5 ton wreckers though. I don't know what constitutes a truck having the level wind but don't be discouraged if the truck doesn't have one. I'm sure Dennis Gilliam will have some info on this one! Also, the side vent in the engine side panel is part of the heater assy which that truck may not have. Lots of heater installs don't even have the little scoop.

rmgill

M35A2 said:
I will find out when I get hold of the guy, so I can go up and test drive it. Thanks for your input Ryan. What sort of tools come in the CES for this truck? (Complete Equipment Schedule) :)
Yanks call this the BII, Basic Issue Items and Integral Components of the End Item. They're in a manual that's either the Operator's -10 manual or separately the -10HR (Hand Recepit) manual that just lists Basic Issue Items but doens't actually provide what goes with what truck. The -10 Appendix A shows individual items and what basis of allocation they are in. The Base cargo truck doesn't have much, but the winch adds a few things.

BII for all trucks:
Bracket, Drum, Inflammable Liquid (Jerry can bracket)
Bracket: Pioneer tools
Bag Assembly Pamphlet: Canvas
Bag, Tool: Canvas 10x20In with flap
Chock, Field: Wheel (looks like a large tube with a clevis end on one side and what looks like a ground anchor spade on the other, not a scotch as you chaps would call it).
Gage: Tire Inflation
Hose: Tire Infaltion, 30 ft Long (an air hose with a glad hand on the end for tire inflation)
Wrench, Plug Straight bar, sq 1/2 in sq plug 2 1/2 in long (For the bellhousing plug for fording)
wrench open end adjustable, heavy duty s-head type (Adjustable wrench)
Bar Socket Wrench handle
Jack Hydraulic 8 ton or 12 ton
Wrench, wheel stud nut

BII for all with winches
Block, Snatch wire rope, S Shell, S 8 in sheave w/ swivel hook, 5/8 in dia rope 10 ton working load

The Additional Authorized list is more diverse. Mostly hand tools and some things like a punch and hammer and such. Oh, spare shear pins for your winch too. Get the TMs of the TM link in the resources section.

M35A2

Kenny and Ryan,

Thanks for your answers. Kenny, you have made me feel better about the winch, but I would still like to have that level wind on it. I take it if I get my hands on one, it will fit?

Ryan, thanks for the info. I very much doubt the truck comes with any of the CES. It has been out of the service now a long time. Would be nice to obtain it though.

Cheers guys

Andy

M35A2

BTW Kenny. Squirt Truck has got a box at the headboard end of the rear body, above the fuel tank. This one hasn't. Is there a reason for that? Is his home made?

Andy

rmgill

Andy, Squirtruck/Mark's truck has that box that was part of the design of that model/make of bed. It's actually nice to have additional storage like that. I'm not sure what the specification was, but the drop sides didn't have that.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A3,
I THINK I KNOW where you can get that level wind. Their is a guy here in Colorado who has a big rig salvage yard. He's MIGHTY PROUD of his stuff, so it won't be cheap, but given the exchange rate, you might make out OK. I'd have to run up to Henderson, Co (I think that's where it is - I'll talk to Randy again for directions) and he had one about two - three months ago.

It was only the front end of a five ton, so it's not like it's on a running truck or anything. BUT, if you are willing to pay for it and the freight, I'd box it up and send it to you. IF you think that's legal on your end. Don't want to run afoul of da Bobbies ya know.

Let me know and I'll go look.

jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, the level wind is a bolt on piece. If you buy this truck we can start shopping for one for you. Shipping might be a problem, don't know. There are a few different 5 ton beds as Ryan indicated. The later ISO beds are pretty cool but I prefer the looks of the dropside although they are heavy fellers.

M35A2

Kenny and Jim,

Hey thanks guys. It's really appreciated.

Jim, Hold fire on the winch wind at the moment. If I buy the truck, then I would be seriously interested.

Have any of you guys held one of those level wind pulleys? Have you got any idea what they weigh? I reckon the shipping would be expensive, because of the weight. I'm going to look on the Customs website and see what the skinny is about import duty. I think I shoul be ok, if it's declared as a gift. As I'm pretty sure they can't charge duty on a gift. And as you know you guys are very generous, and helped me out in my hour of need :)

I will let you know what I find out.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy,
Keep us informed. I don't know what it weighs, BUT check with DHL and see if they ship to UK. IF they do, it will be one of the cheaper ways to go. I've been using DHL now for about six plus months when I need something heavy shipped to me.

I WILL say it LOOKS heavy duty, so it will not be light weight.

Honest OFFICER, it's a gift from some friends of mine in the US. THEY KNEW it was my birthday and all pitched in to get me something different... LOL!!

jim

M35A2

wallew said:
Andy,
Keep us informed. I don't know what it weighs, BUT check with DHL and see if they ship to UK. IF they do, it will be one of the cheaper ways to go. I've been using DHL now for about six plus months when I need something heavy shipped to me.

I WILL say it LOOKS heavy duty, so it will not be light weight.

Honest OFFICER, it's a gift from some friends of mine in the US. THEY KNEW it was my birthday and all pitched in to get me something different... LOL!!

jim

I've been looking at the Customs website. Talk about complicated. I haven't got a clue. I reckon if it's declared as a gift, and the value is put below £36, then I shouldn't have to pay any duty on it. I did find out though, that duty on importing a truck is 10% of the vehicles value. So $8,000 to buy the truck, $3000 shipping and £800 import duty. Works out pretty dear.

M35A2

Few more questions guys.

In picture No 29, there is a big hole in the wheel arch below the air horns. Is this supposed to be there? Surely there shouldn't be a big hole there?

Also I notice the air pressure is at 90psi. He took the pictures while the truck was running, after 20 mins. In the TM data, it says that the pressure should be between 105-120psi. Is this ok?

There is a rubber bung at the bottom of the gear shift attatched to the shaft. What's that? I've seen another picture of a 5 ton truck, and it seems to be under the trans tunnel.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, big hole there, cooling outlet for exhaust and turbo heat. Air needs to be between 100 and 120, BUT check with a known accurate gage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks