• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561 Gama Goats

Hello, So my Name is Wade and I am kinda new to this site. I am part of an organization called Freedom Vehicles(freedomvehicles.org). We collect military vehicles and gear and use them to promote patriotism and tell people that freedom isn't free. You can go to our website and read more about it. Anyway, we got two M561 Gama Goats donated to us. We went and picked them up this weekend. When we got there we learned they were in a brush fire. So since they are aluminum they melted. It took us all day to get both of them. They were located in Parowan Utah and we took them to Levan Utah. It looks to be that between the two we will be able to get one that looks good. One is a 1970 delivered in 1971 and the other is a 1973 delivered in 1973. Both M561 wo/w. they do not have seats so if anyone knows where I can get some for cheap, or donated. Also the drain plugs underneath are missing.
P8153308.jpgP8153309.jpgP8153313.jpgP8153323.jpg<--First one we got all of same vehicle. Its the 1973.
P8153335.jpgP8153334.jpgP8153331.jpgP8153321.jpg<--Second one we got 1970. All of same. This one got the worst of fire damage.

m38inmaine

Wow, they sure did melt. Good luck with your project, look forward to seeing more pictures as you progress. If you end up with extra parts I'm sure some of us goat owners, including myself would be glad to purchase them to help fund the "keeper".

Yeah, I will let you know. I have read on here about most of you Goat owners. We were thinking about keeping the melted one and saying it got blown up or something... Pretty cool. By chance do you know why the engine covers are different shapes?

dmetalmiki

They look good for a project. Seems you should get a good one out of two ok. Surprised the fuel tanks haven't blown. The engine covers look the same, but we need close up pictures to examine them in detail. Are both engines still usable? Good luck in your quest, progress reports and pictures as you go would be good.

Attachments

The engines look complete. I did not check them as I was in a rush to get them all in one cay with out it being dark. The tanks are still full of diesel. Kinda weird. And the engine covers, one is kinda rounded and the other is straight edged. If you look at the picture where you can see both of the goats but the burned one is in front, you can see the covers and the differences.

m38inmaine

They made two different styles of engine covers, the squared style is aluminum and the rounded style is stamped steel. The steel type is reported to be the later issue but I can't confirm that.

How that's sad, I read the first 3 pages. There are like 4 down in Kane county Utah and we tried to get them but they are government owned. We would have had 3 working Gama goats and a parts one! but the Government said they would lend them to us as a museum piece but they reserve the right to take them whenever and do what ever they want.

So this weekend we went down to where they are stored and took some batteries to see if they were seized up. After sitting so long we didn't know. We hooked the batteries up and tried and at first the one would do anything. Then I wiggled the switch some more and then pushed the button and it started to turn. I only held it for a little while, like if I were starting a Deuce. Then the second one was kinda the same. We fried the post on the battery because we had a bad connection, but all is good. So for the next time we go down, we would like to clean all the algae filled tanks out and replace the fuel filters. Does anyone have a recommendation where to get those? Could I get them from NAPA? Could I get them online? Any suggestions would be much appreciated and helpful. Also any tips on cleaning the fuel tanks and lines.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the acquisition! Try PMing popacom on here. He has the NOS fiberglass seats and cushions at about the best price around. Do you need the aluminum seat frames as well? Not sure where to find those.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have seat frames, but I could probably make some of mine own. Thanks. That will help a lot. Also on one of them the steering is locked up, any tips?
Mine was locked up as well. I jacked the front and real axles, filled the boxes with gear oil then turned the wheel back and forth to break the rust loose. Then I filled the steering box with John Deere Corn Head grease. The grease begins to liquify as it heats up letting it get deep into the gears. As it cools it solidifies again. No more oil seepage around the seals.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In case you haven't seen it:

~http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?135414-Working-On-The-M561-Gama-Goat

That's my thread starting from when I picked the Goat up in January to the current predicament that I'm in.

Ok thanks. I have seen your thread and it is quite interesting. I've read some of the threads about goats on here and I don't think that we are going to take ours down to what some of you guys do. We have a M109 that needs restored, and a M3 scout car, an M-2-4, a M38 jeep, and a Deuce that all need to be restored also. So we are really busy. The Jeep is taken apart right now and the Goats are just kinda something to do when we go to where they are stored. I think next we are going to do the M109 or the other Deuce. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks