• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M56B1 questions

67Beast

Nice looking truck, the great thing is that all the main pieces to keep it running are all just standard M37 parts. Motor, drivetrain, brakes, ect are all fairly easy to find M37 items. Unique to the M56 is going to be items like the PTO and welder which look like are still with it. Definitely a pretty rare military vehicle, great job on saving it and it looks in pretty good shape. Some fresh paint and markings would make a sharp looking truck.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend you stole that truck, I'm currently working on one and would like to trade information. As guy stated the manual is available I just got mine last week from portrayal press was only $20 photocopies aren't awesome but rest of manual are.
Speaking of.... how goes it?

Joe Bertram

Speaking of.... how goes it?
Had a setback last weekend, had a new stud that wouldn't stop leaking. So apart came the manifolds again another timesert installed. Yesterday new water pump, thermostat, hoses, belt, and reinstall intake exhaust manifolds. Joely fired it up and it runs like a new one ran it for about half an hour and topped off antifreeze. Now to start in on brakes

Attachments

uraniumwolf22

My friend you stole that truck, I'm currently working on one and would like to trade information. As guy stated the manual is available I just got mine last week from portrayal press was only $20 photocopies aren't awesome but rest of manual are.
Great to see someone else is restoring one! Would love to trade info I'll shoot you a message when I get the chance. I will probably pick up one of those manuals too as an in hand copy makes life much easier..

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few realize all M56 G741-series were custom builds on limited contracts.

The M56 was built by Dodge as a cab & chassis, then shipped to the respective builders.

The contact truck, the R2 crash wagon, the X? wrecker, and other rare ones are examples.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few realize all M56 G741-series were custom builds on limited contracts.
The M56 was built by Dodge as a cab & chassis, then shipped to the respective builders.
The contact truck, the R2 crash wagon, the X? wrecker, and other rare ones are examples.
i just spent most of the morning digging thru albums and cannot locate a pic :( i took @1975 or 76 of a town FD's M37-type that was set up as a tanker/brush fire fighter w/hose reels and side-mounted backpack tanks for 8 or 10 men .. It did not have the typical M37 box, rather, the bed was specifically made by a specialty contract builder and done so well it looked like it belonged on a M37 .. I had never seen one before or since.. Rediscovered a ton of other interesting pics, but not the one I was looking for.. It's got to be here somewhere.

Guyfang

Staff member
Was doing the same with 10,000 pictures today. A guy who is writing a book about HAWK ADA, (Air Defense Artillery) has been pumping me for info for the last two years. I sent him some pictures that knocked his hat off, and now he is asking for more, and for another book he has started on PATRIOT ADA. I am NOT a Duck Hunter, (Air Defense person). I am an Honorable member of the Engineer Corps. But spent about my entire 20 years keeping ADA powered up. When someone asks me what the difference is between the HONORABLE Engineer Corps, and the ADA people, I tell them I don't have to go to the dog pound to trace linage. This is not meant to anger Duck Hunters. Some of my best friends are Duck Hunters!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like my donor truck, the XM387.

View attachment 916597

According to a gentleman who runs a website about the Redstone Missles, he informed me there were *very* few of them built.
Yes, very rare those peroxide rigs were. They were essentially an M37 with a custom assembly in the bed.

However, all the M56 trucks were the long wheelbase jobs, same as the M43 ambulance.

Redleg130

Great googly moo you stumbled into a really really really neat truck.

A 116 ECB is likely to mean Alpha Company, 116 Engineer Combat Battalion of the Idaho National Guard. I found an article here - 116th Engineer Combat Battalion remembering the Korean War with 70th-anniversary reunion - East Idaho News.

You don't appear to have to do much, it looks in fantastic shape. But in my case, being an IT person, automotive stuff is all pretty much new to me. I am just taking projects slow and reading alot. People here are helpful, and there almost always is a thread with relevant information when searching.

These things are 70+ years old so inevitably it will need some stuff worked on. I had my engine and transmission rebuilt and am currently replacing the wiring. Rubber parts are particularly prone to aging and likely many will need replaced.

If you make your truck available for local events, people usually have great interest in these things. I take my M37 and M35 shop truck camping for amateur radio stuff and I always have visitors. I have also been asked to do parades and such which I will do when I get the repairs complete. They are also just a blast to drive, I love taking mine out just to explore my region. M37 is better than my M35 shop truck for this since its smaller, looking forward to finishing my wiring and getting it back on the road.

Portrayal Press sells the manuals - #1 Restorer's Manual Bundle - M37 (portrayalpress.com) I bought all these separately and I suppose I could have saved a bit by just getting the set.

This type of bag is what we used when I was in the service, I got a couple and they are good for holding the books - Canvas Pamphlet Bag Assembly 7961712 BAE Systems OD Green US Mil (mibotparts.com)

I recommend Vintage Power Wagons for parts - Vintage Power Wagons - 1939-71 2WD & 4X4 Dodge Truck Parts & Info the staff there tolerates all my dumb questions and have really been helpful in getting me sets of parts so I am not discovering I am missing a piece I need in the middle of a project.

My truck in the field -
WPOTA M37.jpg

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool variant. Looks like you're having the fun that you ought to have.

I've used Midwest Military although John Bizal does not tolerate "dumb questions" very well. :censored:

Redleg130

Cool variant. Looks like you're having the fun that you ought to have.

I've used Midwest Military although John Bizal does not tolerate "dumb questions" very well. :censored:
Its good there are choices, the Midwest Military site has an excellent catalog with very useful parts diagrams. I do like being able to call someone and get some assistance with picking items, particularly with suggestions for items that commonly fail in a project area I am working on. Vintage Power Wagons for M37s and Big Mikes for M35s are both fantastic with this.

snakeyes

Hi saying you stole for that price is saying it lightly I sent you a PM I will contact my friend he will tell you all you want to no

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks