• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M60 MBT help

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a couple of M60s at the museum, one is in need of a starter, that will happen after retirement, and the other is a runner, well it least WAS until last month. The rt brake got stuck in park. Found the MC would not build the necessary 750-950 PSI to release the PB. Rebuilt it, got pressure, but would still not release. The cable was loose. Took the cover off of the PB pawl, that was fun w/o removing the power pack, the 3 tooth lock connected to the cable was free but the pawl arm was stuck in the P position. Also, when looking in the adjustment port, the A and R were nowhere in the window, the ring was WAY past the index marks. I was able to release the pawl arm with a light tap with a bar and hammer. The A index was aligned with the index mark w/o the brakes applied. The tank moves fwd, but now, no reverse. It was backed into the spot it is in a few months back, it shifted fine into all gears then. It will move fwd, no issues, just no R. Also, when we tried to move it back into the parking spot with a tug, it was VERY hard to move.

Is there anyone here that ha experience with the M60 trans or brake issues that can help me out? Give me a shout or post up here.

Thanks guys

Will

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as there will be no reverse involved, See you in a month!

Barrman

Wrong side of the country, but ABLinn in NC had a few M60 chassis and engines sitting around the last time I was at his place. He was getting close to selling out for retirement and that has been a few years. Maybe a source for a spare parts stash.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That might be a good option. We have all the TMs, but if there was a good complete unit, that would be a quicker option and the trans could be taken apart and repaired casually. Thanks for the tip!

jdmcm

Try Master Gunney Jim King at the Mechanized Museum at Camp Pendleton, he has a runner there and they have lots of parts and manuals

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks