• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M60 PATTON Tank

snowtrac nome

so what engine did the m60 have I only saw a few in korea that belonged to the ROK. but never got up close to one . I do remember you could here them suckers miles away.

Barrman

Thanks for posting this. I started of in the Guard with the "slick 60." We were very pleased to get the oh so advanced M60A3 with it better targeting system and controls.

Barrman

1/124 Alpha troop. Armored Cav out of Waco.

Oldag89 was in the same unit with me. We just didn't know each other then and have since met here on this website and at the Texas Rally's.

shootER

1/124 Alpha troop. Armored Cav out of Waco.

Oldag89 was in the same unit with me. We just didn't know each other then and have since met here on this website and at the Texas Rally's.

Same here, from 86-93. Started off in Charlie Troop, but while I was at Fort Knox for OSUT, they reorganized and when I got back everybody was in Alpha troop. Captain Nickel(s?) was my first Troop commander and 1SG Ricks was the top kick.

Only drilled twice on the slicks before we went to Idaho to transition to M60A3. Recently retired MG Len Smith was my first platoon leader and tank commander.

big block 88

Pops was in them after the m48's were phased out of vietnam. He was 1/11 acr d company.

excellent tank. Israel still usses them with the front blade and reactive armor. **** we still used them in desert storm and i never saw them but have heard rumors of them in 2004 oif

Last edited:

Barrman

ShootER,
We must have been there together. I was an SMP/PFC '88-'89. I missed out on the Idaho drill due to my Reserve paper work from A&M not getting there in time. That really bummed me out.

I cant believe Lt Smith made General. He was so soft spoken and laid back as a squadron leader.

Back to the M60. We had a 3 day drill in May of '88 where we took them out for one last romp through Fort Hood.

shootER

ShootER,
We must have been there together. I was an SMP/PFC '88-'89. I missed out on the Idaho drill due to my Reserve paper work from A&M not getting there in time. That really bummed me out.

I cant believe Lt Smith made General. He was so soft spoken and laid back as a squadron leader.

Back to the M60. We had a 3 day drill in May of '88 where we took them out for one last romp through Fort Hood.

I've got photos from that drill, though most of them are of the tanks on and around the turn-in pads by MATES.

I remember being told to do TCGST on the slick, but because I only knew the A3 from Fort Knox I was mostly clueless about most of the tasks on the list.

Crapgame

Thanks for posting this. I started of in the Guard with the "slick 60." We were very pleased to get the oh so advanced M60A3 with it better targeting system and controls.
My Guard unit? 3/102nd AR- 50th AD, we still had M48A5 in 1988-89. Took away the .50BMG M85C Cupola, gave the TC an M60D. They were those goofy interim hull, had 3 return rollers instead of 5, so when I went into the Armory Motorpool the first time as a Mortar Maggot, I saw the 3, said "Aw, cool! "We" have M60s! I built a Tamiya 1/35 of one before" but was quickly corrected by the E6 "Naw, son, we still have '48s"

We used to do tours for grade schools and recruitment for high school kids, had the one of the two 48s inside the Armory, had the Gunner simulator going like a Nintendo, 4.2" M30 Mortar set up, and 19D Scouts had their M21 Sniper Rifles and ghillie suits. After the inside tour and slideshow with NJARNG pay and benefits, I would put on a Red Dawn camo coverall and sky blue beret, they would chase me around the yard in the 48 while I shot blanks at them with my Norinco .223 M84S underfolder AK, maybe throw a smoke grenade or artillery simulator at it, they would shoot Hoffman devices at me then detonate one on top of a dirt hill I hid behind, so I could die in a loud and grotesque military manner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks