• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M60 Wrecker questions

Crash_AF

So I've been looking for a MV that would suit my needs and serve a purpose in my fleet other than a really big OD toy (finances don't support such things at this time) and decided that a wrecker would be really useful. Only thing is that a 5 Ton would be huge overkill (unless the finance thing changes, then all bets are off... LOL) in addition to licensing requirements but a deuce would be about perfect. I have a few questions about the M60 since I can find very little info on it.

I'm assuming it has the same boom and ratings as the M108, correct?

What years were they in service? I'm guessing they were all gassers before the Multifuel conversion and phased out before the conversion was complete.

Is there a TM that covers specifically the M60 or were they covered under the earlier M35 series umbrella? Since they're not in the 1980 TM, can someone provide me with TM numbers or electronic copies of the earlier TM?

Does anyone know of one for sale anywhere? (Yea, I know... but I had to ask.)

Thanks,
Joe

acetomatoco

they are rare as nos Jeeps and the books are the early Ords for the G742 and maybe some of the early 209s....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find a M60 wrecker, or a M108, you will either find it has major problems and a fair price tag, or is really nice and costs as much as 2 M816 5-ton wreckers. I wish you luck in your search....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M60 will make the M108 look plentiful. The boom is the same as the M108 for sure. They came about around 1954-55. My 1953 TM 9-8023-5 is a 53 print and covers everything M108 and nothing M60. The 209 series of manuals dated 1965 do have the M60/108 stuff in them. You are correct on both trucks being produced as gassers. Some may have been depot repowered but I've never seen one. Be prepared to be poked fun at a little bit by the rank & file wrecker owners here but take it all in stride. I love my little M108 which by the way, was Strata blue everywhere under the current layers of paint.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why did the M108 replace the M60 if the boom is the same?

If they are both based on the M44 series chassis, and share the same boom, what the heck is the difference?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M108 is classified as a wrecker crane. The M60 is a wrecker light. The M60 was intended as a recovery vehicle where the 108 was more of a crane. The M108 came out fiirst and continied production for many years. The M60 was determined to be too light and was phased out in favor of the medium wrecker.

TacticalTruck

...and the M60 has a rear winch where the M108 does not. My friend Fred still has the M108 he'd part with. The longer it stays on his lot the more parts he hangs on it.
jeff

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I haven't been up close to a 2.5-ton wrecker (mainly since there aren't too many of them to get up close to!), but they're not really all that much smaller than the 5-ton wreckers, are they?

I could be wrong, but I would think that a 5-ton wrecker would be easier to find and cost less than a 2.5-ton wrecker because they're so much more common, the truck wouldn't take up much more room in the yard, licensing and insurance would be the same, and it wouldn't be too much overkill.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Physically they are a bit smaller. Shorter too and 14000# less weight. If registering by weight, thats a bunch. The M108 is a simple truck to operate and shares tons of parts with the regualr deuces.

TacticalTruck

uh...yellow.....it looks yellow. after he's gone thru the trouble of putting a good gasser in it and getting it running, you'll just ruin the truck with a multi-fuel....i don't know exactly how far he's gotten on it. maybe you saw it on ebay a few months back. i can pm you a phone number and he will give an honest description.
j

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: M60 Wrecker questions

I know it's heresy, but I'd repower one too.

And I am a bigger purist than most folks.

TacticalTruck

RE: Re: RE: M60 Wrecker questions

ok ok so i put a small block in my m715 and a five speed in the road runner. my policy is that if something may have real collectable value, i make mods that could be put back to original if necessary. re-powering to a multifuel could also be considered a "correct" modification. in the end it's your own truck and you can do as you wish but it does hurt sometimes to see a nice piece fall under some hacks torch.
jeff

joeM62

Has anyone stayed in contact with the member on this site that still has the M60 deuce wrecker I haven't talked to him in some time now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks