• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M62 wrecker questions

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm starting to do PM work on the trucks. I have not owned my wrecker for even a year so pardon the ignorance. Is there a hydraulic fluid filter built into the boom system? I think I heard mention of one under the tank but wanted to be sure. Is there a source for new filters? Also, I have been thinking about taking the turn stop off. If I were to run the boom 720 degrees, will I screw anything up? I know there is a wire that goes through the base somewhere. Thanks for your input.

ida34

I don't know about the wrecker for sure the 60's hydraulic loader on my tractor only had a metal strainer until I plumbed in a screw on filter.

Jimmy

When I got mine I wanted to change all the filters and fluids but never could find a filter or a place for one, I also checked the TM's and found no mention of one.

I took the boom stop off of mine and it will not go all the way around because the boom winch hits the rear drag winch.

I am sure that there are others that know alot more than me on this site and can add more to this post.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't think of the drag winch being in the way. If you raise the boom just enough to clear the cab, will it miss the rear winch? Was wondering if the wire for the boom light is just straight thru the swivel, or is on a electrical swivel like some horn buttons.

Dennis

acetomatoco

I just went to my library and found TM9-8029-3 Which is a Ordnance Maintenance for WRECKER CRANE, REAR MOUNTED...WINCH AND WRECKER POWER TRAIN FOR 5 TON MEDIUM WRECKER TRUCK M62 2/54 I will go sit and read it for a while and report back if I find anything.. Lotsa stuff on the tank mounted filter on the M543 style, but nothing in my head about the M62 Austin Western. Later...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ace, no biggie, I have the manual and can do the leg work on it. I was just looking for a quick answer if someone knew it, but thank you.

acetomatoco

Well, I found a reference to swivel valve: This valve permits 360 degree rotation of the wrecker crane assy. Not to worry about the flood light wire as it is attached to a rotating connector in the slip ring. The 270 locks can be removed and boom rotated all the way 360 degrees without harm to the crane, however watch out for the cab and loose stuff on the body and those newly installed convoy lights and the lift rating will decrease as you are no longer in the efficient range of the outriggers. I went to the Ord 9 and in group 2004.59 found the oil reservoir and attaching bolts etc, but no filter and no filter in the LO, so maybe there is some type of self cleaning screen welded in the tank which is only available with a new tank. Good luck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is NO hyd. filter on the AW crane ( m62, m246, m819, m60, and n108) a filter add on is on my long todo list, any heavy lifting over the front will not do the front springs anygood, thay can lift over the front ( thats how i set my winch )

joec

Rob you should be able to put a filter on the return hose back to the tank. Nappa should have something that size. lie 1 1/2 0r so that should work.... 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks