• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M621 (M35A2 Norwegian mods) Front inner wheel bearing race and hub spindle fitting

M621

Hi everyone.
I'm a heavy truck mechanic from Norway and this is my first post on the forum.

I have just bought the truck and are doing some checking and re-greasing before i start to use it.
I have been reading a lot on the forum and in the TM's but haven't found any answer to my question.
During the check of the front I found that the inner wheel bearing race was loose so I could spin it on the spindle with a screwdriver, this is wrong in my opinion.
I belive that the race should be a slight press fit on the spindle to keep it from turning and destroying the spindle , but i might be wrong here.
In the TM is says : Using prybar, pry bearing (1) off wheel hub spindle (2). This sounds like a press fitting to me.
I checked with the other side and it's the same story there, loose inner race on the spindle and that is why i'm not so sure anymore.
Is it designed to be that loose to make it more easily to service and do the torque of the spindel nut lock the inner race in place against the surface?
Or do i need two new spindles ? there was no trace of burned grease or over heating in the area.

Typos might occur a lot.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not a pressed fit. Clearance is a few thousandths but if perfectly aligned will slide on and off with your fingers.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M621 are cool...and have lockers...and singles from the factory... :)
By the way, you HAVE to post pictures of yours. Otherwise you will get into trouble here! :)

rustystud

Hi everyone.
I'm a heavy truck mechanic from Norway and this is my first post on the forum.

I have just bought the truck and are doing some checking and re-greasing before i start to use it.
I have been reading a lot on the forum and in the TM's but haven't found any answer to my question.
During the check of the front I found that the inner wheel bearing race was loose so I could spin it on the spindle with a screwdriver, this is wrong in my opinion.
I belive that the race should be a slight press fit on the spindle to keep it from turning and destroying the spindle , but i might be wrong here.
In the TM is says : Using prybar, pry bearing (1) off wheel hub spindle (2). This sounds like a press fitting to me.
I checked with the other side and it's the same story there, loose inner race on the spindle and that is why i'm not so sure anymore.
Is it designed to be that loose to make it more easily to service and do the torque of the spindel nut lock the inner race in place against the surface?
Or do i need two new spindles ? there was no trace of burned grease or over heating in the area.

Typos might occur a lot.
Your just used to the European way of fitting bearings like the MAN trucks and buses. They all are press fit. American vehicles have a tight fit but never pressed fit. A few thousandths clearance is the norm. This is to allow for expansion of the bearing race due to heat.
By the way, welcome to the site ! Also just so you know, once the "green disease" sets in there is NO cure ! We have councilors standing by to help you !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks