• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M656 Ford 8X8 5 ton carrier to buy?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
to anyone who has one, the last i knew sam winer mtrs had 2 NEW soft tops, still in new condition. i paid $200 for mine, a VERY hard to find part...

Stalwart

Mine gets better mileage than any of my other toys. I do have 385R85-20 tires on it so it cruises over 60 easily. The brakes on mine work very well, perhaps you just had a lemon? I think mine will outrun the HEMTT both truck being empty up to 60-65 anyway. They called it the "Mover" and drivers really liked 'em.

apart from the novelity, why would anyone want one? very poor mileage, low on power, top speed 45 only if you push it real hard. not to mention almost no spare parts anymore and a 40 year old allison 6 speed auto with no overdrive......... oh and a rats nest of plumbing tor the very poor wedge ativated brakes and pressurization. had one.

tom

Wolf.Dose

Allison automatic transmissions usually have an overdrive, usual ratio is 6.45 in first gear and 0.83 or 0.74 in the six gear, depending on the year of manufacture. However, with 202 or 240 HP such a truck is in unladen condition somewhat good motorized, but laden it is, sorry to say, a lame duck.
According to the Observer's Military Vehicles Directory by Bart H. Vanderveen the Ford has a 195 bhp V8 diesel engine or a Continental LDS465-2 m/f 6 cyl. 210 bhp engine. Variants were used to accomodate shelters for Pershing I-A missile system.
For the mid and late sixties that was a adaquart motorization. Nowadays it is nothing.... 200 bhp to weak at least!
Wolf

Stalwart

210 hp in a 15,000 vehicle, and my HEMTT has 445hp in a 39,000 lb vehicle. The M656 goes pretty good for a 40 year old.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Stuart, guess the hemmet will take the place of your 656.... I love mine and someone will get a great machine from you, I'm sure, especially with a complete bed.
They do have a better hp to weight ratio than most MVs and the people that drove them in Germany loved them as well, would out pull any of the other 5-tons according to them.

There are a number of "sealed-for life" joints that must be treated before driven IMHO, since they all will impaire the performance if not. Steering ball/bushing joints must be restored to original to prevent wandering and misalignment of the four front tires. I'm currenrtly working on the torque rods, which also were "frozen".
As far as fuel economy, for highway use, the two inter bogie drive shafts must be removed or lousy fuel mileage may result. There are no inter axle differentials, just like the deuce only two times over.
Improvements over the other MV of its time are numerous, from engine to tires.

Hope it finds a good home.

Wolf.Dose

I do not want to be misunderstood. 210 HP for 15,000 lbs is ok, gives a good performance. How about with 10 tons of cargo or a fully equiped shelter?
My vehicles are not just new, but I always notice the problems on the Autobahn, when I do not drive with the speed of the modern trucks. They want to push me.
Wolf

Stalwart

I've only had about 13-15,000 in the 656 and although it took a bit longer to 60 mph, it took all the freeway hills at that speed.

Until we bought the HEMTT, we had no intention of selling the 656, it was the vehicle that always ran and never let us down. We were goin add the expandable van body and have a nice sleeper for occasions like the Arlington Airshow where we stay on site for 6 days. I really like the 656, we call it the FUT - F#$kin' Ugly Truck. Aerodynamics of a brick and no rusting . . .

m376x6

Owned 2 of them, God I miss them. Wish I had one of them back. Use to drive them around the west side of Denver in the Golden area from my house in the mountains. Air operated transfer case, go from 4x8 to 8x8 on a flick of a little lever. Clened out the bilge pumps, they worked great. Found several new tops. Couldn't locate new tires so I sold the last one I had. A month later I got a phone call from a fellow who had 40 new ones in his yard he just wanted to get rid of. Ordered 4 pallets of wood pellets from a King Soopers over in Evergreen, got them at cost because they were still on pallets, the old case lot at cost idea they had. Truck didn't even act like they were there. For those who have driven them, they'll know what I mean by "Floating" over the road not just in water. Most fun thing to drive with tires I've ever driven. Rear seating for 30 if you please. I believe the transmission was an A200, never even hicupped. The drove great a 55.

Regards,
M376X6

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Owned 2 of them, God I miss them. Wish I had one of them back. Use to drive them around the west side of Denver in the Golden area from my house in the mountains. Air operated transfer case, go from 4x8 to 8x8 on a flick of a little lever. Clened out the bilge pumps, they worked great. Found several new tops. Couldn't locate new tires so I sold the last one I had. A month later I got a phone call from a fellow who had 40 new ones in his yard he just wanted to get rid of. Ordered 4 pallets of wood pellets from a King Soopers over in Evergreen, got them at cost because they were still on pallets, the old case lot at cost idea they had. Truck didn't even act like they were there. For those who have driven them, they'll know what I mean by "Floating" over the road not just in water. Most fun thing to drive with tires I've ever driven. Rear seating for 30 if you please. I believe the transmission was an A200, never even hicupped. The drove great a 55.

Regards,
M376X6
Checked with "Swedin Sales" (Utah) about those tires, but he knew nothing about them, wasn't that the lead you gave me?

The transmission is the TX200-6, like so many other items, specifically designed for this truck with a built-in hydraulic driveline retarder (not hooked up in the delivered version of the truck, possibly for safety reasons with the slippery road surface considerations etc).

Agree with the "floating" sensation when driving it.
If my notes are correct, this is you M376X6, right? Great picture!

Attachments

m376x6

Yep, you can't see me but I'm driving. Took it down to the Power Wagon get together they used to have near Sedalia. That was a picture they put in the 4 Wheeler magazine. I never saw tires at Swedins, I do remember they had axles in crates. That has been alot of years ago though. I can't remember for the life of me who called with the tires. It's been more than 15 years ago. It said made by Ford, but never found anything on it that was ford. All the seals were intact, the bilge pumps fore and aft worked, never did put it in water. Which might have been a smart thing, who knows. Of all the vehicles I've owned, I miss those the most. Oh well, hunting season is almost here, the memories will fade.

Regards,
M376X6

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Incredible looking truck! Guess from what I have read, it rode and performed as well as it "looks"! Congrats on your purchase, looks sweet.

God bless,
Tony

Alwaysfixin

Thank you guys so much. I don't play with forums ever. I was curious about this plate on my door. I drive mine everyday as my pickup and service truck. Any info would be great boys and were to buy a bed. The guy before me said this was a fifth wheel model. He has to be right cause infront of the bed is a service and emergency hookup with pogo stick.

Attachments

Stalwart

Then you don't have a M656, you have a rarer XM757 like it says on the tag. They were for the Pershing 1 missile program and towed the missile . . .

Alwaysfixin

Is that the only id tag. On the drivers door. I regrets red her and insured it but I couldn't find the vin number on the truck anywhere. Not worried bout that stuff just after info. I want to stock some parts for this baby and start sourcing other stuff.

Stalwart

I tried to find a vin on my M656 where it was supposedly located and I only found smooth right front frame rail. Good luck with parts, they were almost all scrapped for the aluminum bodies, plus they didn't make very many.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks