• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M66 hard turning

319cssb

Anyone here know how I can alleviate the sticking m66 situation ? I read that the felt part wants to be greased with CLP but what else do I need to do to PMCS these?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know that TM isn’t publicly available. I rebuilt one into an operable unit that was once demilled, with about a 3/4” torch gash cut thru it and missing 2 roller bearings. It was also made oval due to the handling and being thrown around at the scrap yard. I got it at $50 scrap price so even if it was used as a static display it would have been ok with me. I was able to weld and make filler pieces with some steel I had. And a lot of grinding. It helped to have another uncut unit to compare it to.

But there is 3 pieces to the ring. The inner, outer (part that has the attachment points to the truck), and an inner race. If you remove from the truck and flip it over, remove the screws, the felt pad, and you’ll see the rollers and brass races. Take it all apart and clean it out, I used regular grease and it is out in the weather for 5 years on the truck and it still turns smoothly. It’s actually really simple inside it. Hardest part is taking it off the truck. If you have a bad roller, or missing one, I believe it is 5/8 round bar with beveled ends. It’s been a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only way to do what I mentioned is removing from the truck and flipping the ring upside down. Doing so on the truck would cause the heavy insides of the the truck falling on you and the roof and losing all the rollers and races.

319cssb

Only way to do what I mentioned is removing from the truck and flipping the ring upside down. Doing so on the truck would cause the heavy insides of the the truck falling on you and the roof and losing all the rollers and races.

Did you post a thread about rebuilding yours?

319cssb

I used two straps and connected one side to the handle bars and the other to the ring turret , then I pulled the straps in an alternate fashion . Working the CLP I have sprayed on the felt into the bearings. I ordered More Clp and will do that same thing after letting it soak again622DB0A7-D803-44D8-9DD7-EBD84057C3CE.jpeg

319cssb

In the post by m715mike, you can see a bit how the ring turret is constructed.
I unscrewed the top plate with those Phillips head machine screws and removed the ring , that holds the felt strip in place . I sprayed plenty of CLP into the gap on top and screwed the top plate back down, soaked the felt with even more CLP and then installed the clamp ring again.
then I worked the ring left and right where it turns easiest. Increasing the motion until the spot where it turned harder. I believe the CLP will work itself into the bearings and loosen the hardened grease. I believe turning the turret a great deal will translate into a very small motion in the bearing rollers therefore one needs to work the ring left and right in increments until it turns easily 360 deg. Then you can be sure that pretty much all the rollers made a full turn (if not more) and the hardened grease and corrosion have been broken up.
Once I have it that way I will give it some more clp onto the felt strip.

319cssb

Watch out with this Phillips head screw , holding the clamp ring together. I used freezeoff and worked the screw back and forth until it was easy to turn. Luckily I didn’t break it.
then get a large bottle of CLP and wet down the felt strip. I pulled it out just enough to wet it and moved to the next length.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks