• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M66 TM, and legs?

Madfarmersson

Ok I just got my M66 ring mount for my M35 and have a question,
all of the legs that came with it are strate, I have looked
at a lot of photos but they all show a cerved leg on the right front.
Do I have to get the right front leg?
Also where can I find the down loadable M66 installation TM?

Madfarmersson.:lost:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M66 takes three legs to mount on the M35 and all three legs are different. If you don't have three different legs, you need to look for the correct legs. You are correct, the top of the front leg has an angle built into it. The other two are straight. The open part of the right and left legs faces inward, toward each other. I have USMC Technical Instruction for the M66 that will work, TI-03404C-12/1. Also, don't forget the top mounting plate that connects the drivers side post with the ring. These are easy to fabricate if you don't have one.

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Here is a shot of the two rear legs and a ring,I don't think you really need a TM, after you look at it for a while it starts to make sense, lots of pics here with trucks that have rings mounted.

Attachments

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another potential problem is that you need to measure the length of the front post from the top of the bracket to the bottom of the post. If this exceeds 63 inches total, you need to cut the bottom of the post off. Otherwise, the bottom of the post will impact the right fender and damage it. I used a cut-off wheel to shorten mine. The post is very thick walled pipe and this is no job for a hack saw.

Madfarmersson

Yes it did MKCOEN, I just have not had the time to PM you, looks great.[thumbzup]
Well I need the angle leg, I may just angle it my self.
I do not have the mounting plate either. Does any one have the
blue prince for the front leg and mounting plat?
Just another thought, maby I could make a adapter to use the other leg.

Madfarmersson.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another thought, maby I could make a adapter to use the other leg.

Madfarmersson.
You could obviously make an adapter to use the incorrect front leg. However, the arm on the front leg would extend out a significant distance which means the entire structure would not be as strong. There is a **** of a lot of leverage involved considering the length of the legs and using another plate would further weaken the structure. In addition, standard M66 covers for the ring would not fit.

Madfarmersson

:funny: Well I was hopeing for some numbers or measurments.
Where we farm and ranch we have the tool's, I could cut the leg and angle it,
if I would do that do you think it would work?:idea: I knew that some thing would go wrong
with this thing, $300.00 for a set of good used legs for the ring, I should of seen this comingaua:doh:

Also consider this, even with all 3 correct legs it is very difficult and time consuming to get all the holes in all 3 legs and the ring lined up. (Unless you know the EXACT angles for the legs prior to ring installation). To fabricate one (that is not intended for the front) correctly you would need to drill new ones during the install. 2cents