• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M7 Priest- Worth while?

Mac53

So, before I was into military vehicles, I had the opportunity (and passed it by as a crazy idea) to buy an M7 Priest. (maybe m7b, i have no idea.)

I'm trying to track down the vehicle again. It had a bit of rot, im sure didn't run, no gun, or anything like that- but the basic tank was there, including what little armor those things had.

Back then (3? 4? years ago), someone offered it to me for $500. Now, the odds of getting this chance again are probably slim, but if I could, would it be worth it? Are these easy to find? Total money pit? Cheaper to buy a house? Etc.... I'm just worried if I do get the ability to buy it, without anyone having talked some reason into me I'll go for it. :mrgreen:

waayfast

Absolute total money pit! Terrible investment/loss!Your wife will divorce you and the kids will contract Leprosy!!Terrible ,Terrible!Save yourself untold misery and send me the contact info to the owner of this thing.Glad to help you out sir!:-D

All kidding aside-- GO GET THAT THING-NOW!! LIKE YESTERDAY!!(Like 2-3 years ago;))

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Priest will be a very expensive project. I suspect this is one of the leftover units from SECO in Augusta GA. It will need a lot of work.

An engine alone will cost $10000 or more. It will most likely need tracks now or very soon. That will run you another $6000 or more. It is very heavy. You will need a semi-truck and low boy to move it around. A tri-axle is best. Hiring the moves out is very expensive. ( cost me $!500 roundtrip from Warner Robins Ga to Atlanta Ga 4 years ago,)

If you want to put a real gun in it thats at least another $5000 a live gun will be more $$$$. The part that are missing are expensive and hard to come by. Owning heavy Armor is not for the faint of heart. Buying it it easy. The restoration, transport and maintenance are the hard part. thousands of dollars will be spent there.

I don't want to turn you away from it but be prepared to spend 50K on your $500 vehicle. You can save some if you do the work yourself but you need alot of big heavy expensive tools to do that.

Just my .02 worth as an armor owner.

Good Luck

Blythewoodjoe

The Priest will be a very expensive project. I suspect this is one of the leftover units from SECO in Augusta GA. It will need a lot of work.

Good Luck
SECO did have a dozen Sextons a few years ago. Anybody know if they still have anything left. The last time I was there a few years ago most where gone. The ones left didn't have tracks and a new set of tracks would be very expensive. Back in 2002 you could get one complete with engine, tracks and gun for $5000. I wish I had the money then. I wish I had the money now. If you can find out anything on this Priest, if it is a priest, post something here. It would cost a lot to do ANYTHING with this project but we would all love to do it.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to counter the "don't do it, it will cost a fortune" folks, if you have the $$$ to spend to restore it right, by all means do it. It's a great investment - all WWII tanks and heavy tracked vehicles, except for the common high speed tractors and half tracks, bring $100K or more. There are a few US WWII tanks on the "for sale" boards, here are some sample prices, for restored tracks, mind you:

1943 M5 Light Tank, $245,000
1943 M5A1 Light Tank, $267,500
1943 M5 Light Tank, $269,000 (in Europe, listed at 175,000 GBP)

Shermans, Stuarts, Hellcats and other tanks routinely bring $150,000 or more, in decent condition.

David Doyle's "Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles" in 2003 quoted prices for an M7 Priest as being $7000 for a hulk, to $35,000 for a restored example. I believe this is probably a bit on the low side, what with the resurgence in interest in WWII anything, especially armor. In "Tank and AFV Buyer's Guide", by Michael Green, 1993, the quoted price for an M7 Priest is $25K for a hulk, $60K for an operational one, and $70K for a restored example, and that was 17 years ago! I think this is probably a bit more realistic.

IMHO, I feel that if you can get a basket case M7 Priest, for even up to a few thousand dollars, if you are willing to do a lot of work yourself, and willing to invest the time and money to restore it correctly, I feel your investment will be well worth it.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the Midwest Military web site under his trips overseas. He found a running unrestored Sexton for 90K sterling (that's about 135K US).

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

The restoration is amazing. It makes me really want something like that now. I will have to be happy to get my half track on the road one day I guess. Those guys have a lot more money and time than I will ever have.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
David Doyle's "Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicles" in 2003 quoted prices for an M7 Priest as being $7000 for a hulk, to $35,000 for a restored example. I believe this is probably a bit on the low side, what with the resurgence in interest in WWII anything, especially armor.
None of the prices for armor are meaningful any longer. Too many things have changed - State Department rules, interest levels, exchange rates, inflation, etc.

We are at the point now that if it is in the US, has a clear chain of ownership, and is recognizable as a US-built armored veihcle - it is worth more than $500 - much more. You may not be able to restore it - but you can find someone who can, and pick up some bucks by turning it.

That being said, you need to be darn sure any armored vehicle has a clear chain of ownership (or else, Uncle Sugar WILL lay claim to it, and that it is of US origin. Sextons and Grizzlies look US, but they are Canadian, and while still easily worth $500, Canadian produced vehicles have not seen the phenominal increase in values that is prevalent with US built vehicles.

With regard to things with guns - this is another complex area - and another that can quickly evolve into large dollars.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks