• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 Electronic Ignition Upgrade

davidkroberts

I just installed a Petronix Ignition system in my M715 but the same type kit works for m-38, m-37, M-38A1, M-151, M151A1/2. I also installed a similar system on my Unimog 404 and the instructions were still the same.

The M-715 system fits entirely in the stock distributor and uses the stock rotor button and distributor cap.

I bought mine from M-Series Rebuild LLC who were also nice enough to send printed specific directions which I never actually read but appreciated none the less.

I think the system was about 180.00 shipped which i thought was very reasonable.

1.Once the dist cap is off remove the rotor button and save it.

2. Disconnect the wires from the coil and remove the points and condensor

3. Remove the points mounting plate and replace the points with the Petronix unit, run the two wires behind the plate and back to the coil. Make sure the original coil wire that runs up from the inner workings of the distributor is undamaged and is ready to be reinstalled

4. Remount the points mounting plate in the groove in the dist housing and rescrew the tensioning screw in the bottom of the mounting plate

5. Cut the wires to length and mount the red wire from the unit to the same terminal that the wire from the lower part of the unit is running to. The black wire from the unit goes to the opposite post. Replace screws holding electrical connections to terminals.

6. Mount magnetic ring to the shaft taking care to not strip out the hexagonal bracket in the middle. You must look carefully and not mount it upside down. Do not remove the tape around the magnetic ring

7. Replace original Rotor Button and replace Distributor cap.

8. Start and adjust advance and carb for the new setting.

The entire install only takes about 30 minutes.

Attachments

Reactions: NDT

davidkroberts

I didnt place this in the M715 section because the same directions can be used on many different vehicles but moderators you can move it if you want too i dont mind........ Dave

jonathan.shields

I am having a similar problem. Situation: 1. New Fuel Tank, Electronic Fuel Pump, fresh Gas; 2. Cranks with ease but before I can drive without it being sluggish I have to let it warm up to operating temp. If not some times it boggs down and even back fires. Some times it even bogs down after operating temperatures have been met along with backfiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks