• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 in the Bankhead Convoy

dougimes

017.jpg212.jpg

Dad and I ran the M715 for the Charlotte to GA portion of the cross country convoy. Had a great time with a bunch of guys who's sense of adventure exceeds good judgment.

002.jpg

The truck ran as Jeep would like to advertise, comfortable and quiet, except I am still fighting a coolant lose situation, (loosing about a quart per 100 miles). Most of the running with convoy was a 30mph. Driving to and from rally points was at 45.

The town picture was the convoy passing thru my own hometown, Greer SC, a lucky coincidence and memorable.

saddamsnightmare

April 30th, 2016.

dougimes:

The coolant loss might be a hose or gasket issue, particularly as the old hose clamps work lose over time. But, if it continues I would start watching your exhaust pipe color at the end, as you may be getting a small head gasket leak, or worse, a warped head. This model truck is one that I have very fond memories of having driven a Civil Defense one back in W.Va. in the 1980's, and many people badmouth the Jeep M715 series, but it was light years ahead of the M37, and stronger and more reliable then either the M880's or first generation CUCV's.

My regret is that nobody is trying to bring in the newer KIA version with the diesel engine, as I do believe they would sell like hotcakes and be at least as reliable as the later, sorrier civilian pickups we see today.;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks