• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 winch wanted and some winch questions

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
Hope life is treating you all well
I am in the Middle of buying a decent M715 although it is without winch are there complete winch setups out there and what am I looking at paying for one first in usable cond second in rebuildable cond were they the braden like on the M37?
I see from the basic info that I can find that the telephone repair trucks were the only ones issued off the line with winches and the regular pickup version was not normally equipped W/W and they found there way onto the trucks after initial issue. is ther any fact to this .
Thanks Jerry

Barrman

30K or so M715's were built. 5-10% of those have owners now who show up on line. Out of that pool, the numbers bear out that about 15-20% of trucks came from the factory with a winch. Go to the "vin registry" link on the Zone if you want to follow the numbers yourself since I am generalizing.

The point is that w/w M715s from the factory were made and are out there. I actually have 2 of them I am holding for other people or working on right now at my place. I know of another pair that were not w/w trucks that are now wearing them or will when we are done working on it.

The M715 frame rails are 34" apart. A M37 is thinner. So, the winch though basically the same between the two trucks is mounted waaayyy differently. The M37 kind of like a M35 end to end between the frame rails and the M715 is bolted on front to back. I just walked over to a w/w truck in my class and counted 13 parts of the winch mount.

So, your best bet is to get a winch and all the parts that allow it to bolt up. Otherwise, you will be chasing parts for a long long time.

There is a set up for sale or at least there was on the Zone recently. They pop up pretty often. All it takes is money.

Barrman

There is a complete mounting set up for $175. You really need to go to the Zone and look in the classifieds since I don't want to be linking stuff between the two sites.

Wolf.Dose

Vintage Power wagon sells complete winch asseys for about 2500 $. They say the set includes everything you need to fix a winch to an original M715-Series truck, including frame extentions, front bumper, winch, drive train and operating lever assey.
Wolf