• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M747 destroyed by crooks

K9Vic

I wouldn't give up too quickly. Take him to civil court, yes it will cost you a little money. But it will be a open and shut case. You won't get anything up front. But you will be able to garnish any future income he makes.
I agree, in most states you could get at least $5000 in civil court and some states are more. Also if he does not show up to the trial in many states it is an automatic win. There is also enough evidence to show he did it, so even if he was able to be in court the judge would rule to the plaintiff.

Sure $5000 will cover the repair, but not what income was said to be lost. It is better than nothing and even if it takes years to get the money it is still a small victory to take any money he may make in the future from him.

3dAngus

The local Warner Robins scrapyard often has a sherriffs deputy parked around it. Sometimes he's inside. For the most part, they don't want to end up with Railroad scrap. I can pull up in a rust bucket of a M105 (we've all seen those) I don't want, fill it up with scrap, pull the tires on location, and sell it off, no problem. They don't usually have a clue as to what is inside the trailer. Others just go in and pull it off the back of a pickup or trailer and throw it off on the ground, where a large boom picks it up and piles it on.
They just want scrap. They're not policemen. They have a business to run and don't always look at every thing that comes in, they just want to move it in the right pile and get it outta there and make room for more. It's an efficient operation, and I believe it to be an honest business, but if a yard man, usually Mexicans, see something specific the cops are looking for, or some railroad steel, they will stop and report it.

I don't think every business is bad, nor responsible. They are not in the business of being cops anymore than you or I.

I would go after the real thief, but with our court system today, even that will be tough. He might not even be prosecuted for it, now that he has come up on other charges and is found guilty, the DA may feel he did his job and move on.
I'm just happy he is in jail.:)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, it would warm my heart to see him hanged. This scrap thievery has gotten way out of hand.

Cops around here don't seem to care. The local sheriff is one of my good personal friends but our relationship has been strained over this. They seem to be more worried about the revenue crimes such as speeding tickets and cash drug bust.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have stuff stolen off the railroad all the time. Had some guys pulling spikes and knocking out tieplates. Had half a pick truck worth. FEDERAL prison. The RR museum has also had radiators and track material stolen recently.

I will have to get a permit from the sheriff's office before I can haul my MKT parts to the scrapper. I've had a trailer load of personal stuff stolen from in front of my house. It sucks.

The police are under pressure to only spend time and energy on things that make money. All property crime is falling to the bottom of the list.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring back public flogging for petty theft and other "victimless" crimes.
Hmmmm.... Removal of the offending hand has worked quite well for thousands of years in the Middle East. There are very few repeat offenders.

One must wonder if removal of a rapist's "offending extremity" might also be an effective deterent to that sort of crime. Just wondering.

To keep this MV related.... uh... I now own several MV's! (hope that's enough said)

When I was active duty, I was almost sent to Turkey... so I had to get the "Turkey Briefing". We were warned (in 1976) that the Turks still practiced "HAND REMOVAL" as a form of punishment.

rickf

By the time the scums lawyer gets done plea bargaining he will be out in two years at the most. Go after the yard and him both. I will bet he did not cut that up any at all. Just dropped it and ran straight to the yard with it. Why waste gas and acetylene if you don't have to? The yard could see exactly what he had done also, these people are not stupid.

Rick

Heath_h49008

Hmmmm.... Removal of the offending hand has worked quite well for thousands of years in the Middle East. There are very few repeat offenders.

One must wonder if removal of a rapist's "offending extremity" might also be an effective deterent to that sort of crime. Just wondering.

To keep this MV related.... uh... I now own several MV's! (hope that's enough said)

When I was active duty, I was almost sent to Turkey... so I had to get the "Turkey Briefing". We were warned (in 1976) that the Turks still practiced "HAND REMOVAL" as a form of punishment.
Working in sales I often thought the best solution would be to nip it in the bud early. Bring back the stocks and the whipping post. If the thief is a minor, they get placed in the stocks WITH THE PARENTS. (as many as can be identified these days) I think that might cure two problems. A: Apathetic parents who don't care if the kid goes to juvi hall. B: The "cool factor" these kids seem to enjoy when the worst punishment is a vacation from school to a jail full of people just like them they can brag about to their friends when they get out.

Adults, the whipping post and 200% restitution to the victims. No jails required. Why should the guy who got robbed/assaulted be taxed to feed the creep who wronged him and give him color TV?

In any case, what we have simply doesn't work. So if yours gets passed, I'll back that too Sir.

I'm just glad you got the guy responsible. I look forward to hearing the rest of the story.

mdcarriers

More pictures of the repaired trailer. I thought the welder did a really good job. He triple walled the main beams on the new neck and drilled several holes in the plates where the neck was connected to add weld plugs. He also added a drop down kingpin frame that is designed to be removed when I can afford some new 255/70R/22.5 tires that will lower the main deck from 42 inches to 36 inches. He welded the new kingpin plate to the bottom of the new neck with a hole for a new kingpin. All for only $3000.00, what a deal. It only took him 4 months and I thought he would never finish. Does anyone like the new design?

Attachments

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

It does look good. Honestly, if I didn't know anything had happened to it I would never notice the plates or that anything bad had happened.

Thanks for the updates. I hope they throw the book at the dirtbag and make him pay FULL restitution. :beer:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a good looking trailer before and now it is great looking.

Right after his a55 kicking he so rightly deserves thank him for the pretty trailer. Then beat him again as payment.

mdcarriers

It is weird how things turn out sometimes. I am very happy with the trailer now. The guy that messed it up just got arrested again last week. I hope they keep him for a long time because he does not know how to behave in public.

M920

It is weird how things turn out sometimes. I am very happy with the trailer now. The guy that messed it up just got arrested again last week. I hope they keep him for a long time because he does not know how to behave in public.
Wow...that turned out to be one awesome looking trailer! Do you know how much weight you saved with the new neck design?