• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M747 Manual Needed

mdcarriers

I am looking for an operator's manual for a m747 trailer that I just bought on GL. I believe the number is TM9-2330-294-24P. Just PM me if you know where I can get that. My trailer is actually a XM747 and I am not sure what the X stands for.
Thanks, Mike Hatfield

M1075

You will also want the -14 manual. I got mine online from LOGSA. Send me a PM with your email and I can try to email them to you. One is 8MB and one is 2MB.

mdcarriers

I am aware of the oversize, but wasn't sure about the kingpin. I will have to do somethin to retrofit. I am not sure what the standard size is.
Thanks

fasttruck

If you want to use the trailer for anything it will now be a trip to track down all the BII that goes with it. The TM should have an appendix that lists it all: shackles, curbing, chains, binders, and snatch blocks are all part of it. Iea 60 ton block has to weigh
over a 100 pounds ( trailer should have 3ea) and it usually took two men to hold it and one the put the pin in the shackle. If you drop one on your floot it will be a while before you walk right again.

mdcarriers

I have most of that stuff now and am well experienced in oversize loads. I will be hauling mostly bulldozers and track hoes
I plan to go out there and pull it back. I should be able to dolly down enough to hook up and I can adjust the air bags by a few inches and I will have to get oversize permits just to bring back to Georgia. I will be buying another truck with the third axle.

M1075

If you want to use the trailer for anything it will now be a trip to track down all the BII that goes with it. The TM should have an appendix that lists it all: shackles, curbing, chains, binders, and snatch blocks are all part of it. Iea 60 ton block has to weigh
over a 100 pounds ( trailer should have 3ea) and it usually took two men to hold it and one the put the pin in the shackle. If you drop one on your floot it will be a while before you walk right again.
There is a good chance the trailer could have the BII with it. I know mine came that way.

M1075

I have most of that stuff now and am well experienced in oversize loads. I will be hauling mostly bulldozers and track hoes
I plan to go out there and pull it back. I should be able to dolly down enough to hook up and I can adjust the air bags by a few inches and I will have to get oversize permits just to bring back to Georgia. I will be buying another truck with the third axle.
The fifth wheel height is going to be a minor issue compared to the kingpin size and overall width of the trailer.

Are you going to acquire and replace your commercial 2" fifth wheel with a 3.5" one?

If you are planning to pull it home, I would suggest you consider removing the outer 8 wheels. That will reduce your width a bunch.

fasttruck

Ramps ? Didn't they come with the trailer ? I trust you arfe familiar with the section of the tm that deals with handling rigid frame loads as the book of lnowledge recommends they be winched on and off. This is because, unlike a tank which has a suspension system that helps it confirm to the profile of the trailer below. The angle of approach ius such that as the machine transktions from the slope of the ramp to the floor only a couple of inches of metal track v metal floor will be in contact. Any variaton in clutch or brake performance or track tension may put the machine over the side. Do not ask how I know this. Additionally the weight is concentrated on the extreme rear of the trailer over the air suspension so blocking the rear of the trailer is required to take the weight off the end of the frame. When m1 tanks came out i believe the army experienced a high loss of m747s with bent frames from loading m1s without blocks. The successor m 1000 trailer has a much flater angle of approach to avoid this cocentration of weight. Height ? a major obstacle to hauling M60s on this trailer was its 3' floor height v. bridge clearance.

mcmullag

one heck of a hauler

I looked at that trailer, as GL sent me an email about stuff at auction including that thang. Looking at the pics was cool, seeing the pics of the built in snatch blocks and cable rollers. I hope you post pics in the future of it and how you use it. Congrats!

mdcarriers

Thanks so much guys. I think I got it figured out. I will post more pictures after I get it back home and painted up. GL said it would take 60 days on the EUC since it is my first one.

NEIOWA

Anyone know what the X stands for on the XM747. I am thinking it stands for extended, but not sure.
X at front of nomenclature indicates Experimental. MANY M747 are labeled as XM747. Some/many/all of these were then rated at 52.5ton.

Later apparently uprated to 60t as the M747. Physical changes?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks