• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M75. How rare are they in the USA?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Complete and running? Not that many were made to begin with and most have been scrapped. Here in the states (USA) they can be a pain to transport because they are too wide for normal transport (by about 10cm) and must have oversized cargo permits. European streets are not as wide, especially in cities. It is usually considered bad form to destroy parked cars on both sides of a street when you are driving down the middle. It is also a gasoline engine and quite thirsty, so with petrol at two Euros a liter, it will cost you eight or nine Euros a kilometer just for fuel. Other than that, go for it! And poist pictures and videos!

To learn more, try Wikipedia, where the article starts off by saying "The M75 is an American armored personnel carrier that was produced between December 1952 and February 1954, and saw service in the Korean War. It was replaced in U.S. service by the smaller, cheaper, amphibious M59. The M75s were given as military aid to Belgium, where they were used until the early 1980s. 1,729 M75s were built before production was halted."

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This guy did a pretty good job of tracking down as many as he could for this "how many survive?" text. I'm sure there are some that missed his research, but suffice to say this is the lion's share of them.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He has other texts of lots of other models of WWII and post-WWII armor, and how many are left and where they are. After looking through them, however, it seems that the only ones photographed are either in govt. museums, acting as gate guards to military installations, displayed at VFW and American Legion posts, or are in privately owned museums. No information on any ones that are privately owned in USA. But it does give a good idea how many are out there altogether.

More information at his site:

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Mike they have one on a parade field on Ft. Benning and it is quite impressive but rather LARGE unless you have your own transportation assets.

David Doyle's book lists the size of the beast as: 204" long, 112 inches wide, 119.75 inches tall and weight 41,500lbs.

Carlo

As usually I'm attempting a trade. I ask for the stars and settle for the moon. Let's see what happens with my offer.
In Europe you see them. In Belgium even more cause that's where they were used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks