• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756A2 pipeline construction vehicle

Beyond Biodiesel

Well, give Jack a try on the shipping costs, because he seemed to think that he could ship the whole bed reasonably. Maybe you could recoup some of your expenses selling your bed and partial stiff-legs to someone else.

AMGeneral

I'm not trying to hijack anyones thread here,but I am assuming a relatively complete non turbo pipeline deuce would be worth more than a standard multifuel deuce in the same condition?

I ask because I found one locally I am thinking about buying.

Beyond Biodiesel

There is so little known about pipeline trucks, I am happy for anyone to post on the topic on this thread.

So, AMGeneral, how much are they asking for the pipeline truck that you saw, and what does it have with it? The rigging is the big deal, and few surplus pipeline trucks have the complete kit. All mine had was the stiff-legs, and they were missing the T pins, and on leg was missing its hair pin.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandon, it's certainly a more capable truck. If it's not complete, the task of completing it can be daunting. Gotta be one of my favorites. Would bet lunch the one you found is a 1969.

AMGeneral

Brandon, it's certainly a more capable truck. If it's not complete, the task of completing it can be daunting. Gotta be one of my favorites. Would bet lunch the one you found is a 1969.
You would be correct Kenny.
Below are the pics of said truck.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Missing gin poles and at least the headache rack. Maybe even the winch. Not much left.

Beyond Biodiesel

It is usually a long search, especially for the trunion.
Recovry4x4, or anyone else. Has anyone made careful measurements of the pipeline truck rigging? I am planning on purchasing, and/or fabricating the complete rigging kit for my pipeline truck so that I can put it to work soon.

Also, does anyone have a link to a TM that covers towing, and rigging for pipeline trucks, and other trucks?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4, or anyone else. Has anyone made careful measurements of the pipeline truck rigging? I am planning on purchasing, and/or fabricating the complete rigging kit for my pipeline truck so that I can put it to work soon.

Also, does anyone have a link to a TM that covers towing, and rigging for pipeline trucks, and other trucks?
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?149292-The-VTCS-m756a2-Pipeline-Truck&highlight=
We’ve been trying to get a drawing or scan of the trunnion done but at the same time don’t want to ship it anywhere since it’s irreplaceable.
Some info on the rigging is in the back of the operator’s book, the earlier version is a little more in depth. It’s a very useful truck when the gin poles and winch are working.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There are 4 blocks in the BII for the pipeline truck (in addition to the standard block used on all front winch equipped trucks). From left to right you've got the block with welded hooks for the rear anchor, the block without hooks for the center anchor, the block with the trunnion, a block with a hook pinned on, and the front winch block.
IMG_2647.jpg
You've already got the anchors so that's a good start. The book lists a different part number for each block because the anchor/ trunnion went with the block when you ordered them. They're all the same except for the one with the welded hooks and those are easy to weld on.

The NSN for the block with the pinned on hook is 3940-00-151-6769. The military still has these blocks kicking around and they were on ebay for a while for around $200 each. When we were putting together the rigging for our truck we won a lot of 8 blocks from GL for a bit less per block. The attachments just pin on so remove the hooks from 3 and keep one with the hook.
image.jpg

After that you'll need to cut out a couple pieces of 1/4" steel in the correct shape and weld them to the sides of the block for the rear anchor. Very easy to do. The block in red primer is my homemade rear anchor block next to a friend of mine's original block.
IMG_2320.jpgIMG_2322.jpg

For boom chains we're using 3/4" pear links to go around the trunnion. Not an exact match but finding original boom chains will be next to impossible. The chains are 1/2" and just under 24 feet long if I remember right. Get a 50 foot length and cut it down. We're connecting the pear links with some small shackles and then the other end of the chain needs a grab hook.
IMG_2221.jpg

If you've got any questions about individual pieces or anything in the BII list just let me know. I think I've got it mostly figured out at this point.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I will do that when I get a chance to fold the gin poles in. It probably wouldn’t be too difficult to build something that will work alright even if it looks a little different.

Beyond Biodiesel

Another option is just knowing the length of the trunnion, and the diameter of one of the snatch blocks would be very useful. It looks like the trunnion is about 12" long, and the snatch blocks look like they might be 8" in diameter.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still have my M756A2. Still in the same condition as in the pictures from 2009. Found original boom chains on ebay about 6 years ago. I too will not ship my trunnion anywhere. I've reduced my collection to the following:

1967 M756A2
1970 M35A2 w/w
1965 M35A2
1965 M109A3
1985 M49A2c
1968 M54A1c
1969 XM818 w/w
1967 M128A2c
1952 M345
1954 M107
1967 ENG3
1972 M105A2
1967 M127
1992 M101A3

Will eventually get down to a couple trucks and trailers. Haven't decided which ones yet. I still log in and read posts, this is my first post in a few years. Still enjoy this site and reading all the new members posts!

Kevin

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Another option is just knowing the length of the trunnion, and the diameter of one of the snatch blocks would be very useful. It looks like the trunnion is about 12" long, and the snatch blocks look like they might be 8" in diameter.
I'd definitely keep an eye out for the original blocks. I'm still going to get the trunnion info next time I have the poles down, I've been using them quite a bit lately.
I still have my M756A2. Still in the same condition as in the pictures from 2009. Found original boom chains on ebay about 6 years ago. I too will not ship my trunnion anywhere. I've reduced my collection to the following:
Any chance you could post some pictures of the original boom chains sometime? I'd be interested in seeing the pear links. How do you know they're original, were they NOS or is there a number tag on them? I've seen pics of the set from when they tested the pipeline bed and they had longer pear links than I'm using, curious if the later sets are the same.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been a few years since I bought them, I did verify they were correct, it was the correct NSN, they are unique to the M756A2. Yes, they were NOS with tags. The seller had several sets, I let Chris know and he bought a set for his dad's M756A2. This was before you had your truck (I believe). They are packed in a trailer right now, but i would glad to help you out with pictures.

On another note, I'm still interested in have you fab some hooks for me. Love your M756A2, you've done a great job!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. I'd still be happy to make some rear anchor block hooks for you. I can either make a template to line them up on the block or tack or weld them to a block if you want to ship the sides to me.
Beyond Biodiesel, if you want a set of the 1/4" plate hooks that need to be welded to the rear anchor block I'd be happy to make a set for you too.

Luckily a friend of mine had an original rear anchor block that I borrowed and copied. Might be the same exact one Kenny pictured on page 1.
The nice thing is all the BII is out there, we just need to figure out getting some of the hard to find stuff reproduced so all the trucks can have a complete set. I've got a single stake pocket adapter too, but getting the trunnion done is the main thing needed right now. Chris has been looking for a long time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks