• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756A2 Recovery! NY-DE (pics)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought, but perhaps we can get David Kelone at mvdataplates.com to make up a few sets of M756 plates for us that are authentic?

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Thank you DesertDeuce and Cranetruck for the dataplate and rear winch operation dataplate photos!

I took some more detailed photos of mine and I noticed a difference between mine and Cranetrucks: Mine only has one pop-up sheave clevis offset in the center of the bed and Cranetruck's bed has two offset pop-up sheave clevises...hmm I still have the one in the rear by the roller and pop-up U-bolt...

I couldn't find any evidence of data plates being screwed, bolted, or riveted to the driverside front of the bed or anywhere else for that matter.

As to the question about whether this was an add-on later or factory equipped... By looking at the photos the frame of the truck has its original paint intact and is in good shape. The pipeline bed however is very pitted and rusty. Maybe it was added later or maybe the contractor that made the bed didn't use the same paint prep or paint as those who manufactured the truck.

The tailboard roller ( 8" dia. ) rolls freely. I took some measurements as I was curious to see how much shorter and narrower the bed is compared to the 12' cargo bed. The bed overall width including the gin-poles and support brackets is right at 8' wide. If the bed sides were utilized then the inside bed dimension would be 7' wide. The length of the bed from the edge of the rear winch to the tip of the tailboard roller is about 11'-6". If the headboard and tailgate were utilized it would probably be 11' long....not to bad considering the addition of a big fat winch in between.

Your probably saying: "the winch and headache rack is deeper than 1', how come the bed is 11' and not 10' or less?" ...it looks like they slide the bed backwards a little to compensate as you can see the bed terminates past the bumperettes and not before it like the cargo bed...so its a pretty good compromise.

Now enjoy these pictures of the subject pipeline bed.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appreciate the images.
Yes, the number of "block anchors" was apparently reduced by one when the truck got its own model number (M756A2).
I have prepared decks for 3 different trucks and they all had 13 boards, but never the same widths, each truck had the boards distributed differently across the bed. Note the different spacings indicating 13 boards of varying widths.
I may have a tool box for sale if yours is rusted out...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No 2, check the front frame mounts for the bed. If these are hot riveted on, it is most likely a 756 built as a unit. Also, see if you can dig up the frame numbers on the left front. I can likely tell from that as well.

No.2Diesel

More Pics

Hi,

Thank you for the tip RC4x4 and for the photos and bed info Bjorn. Yes the mounts that attach to the Deuce frame are riveted.

As to decking I have a few choices...There are two traditional saw mills within a 10 mile radius of me so I was thinking either White Oak or Locust as you and BFR have done. There's also that now popular Apitong tropical hardwood that is installed on large lowboys and tag-alongs... Either way I'll probably use a nice stain instead of paint to prolong the wood's life. I noticed the wood deck thickness would be around 1.5" THK.

My toolbox is rusty but serviceable with no holes or thin spots. Thank you very much for the offer though, it is tempting. The toolbox raises another question: Would there be a specific long item or tool that was stored in the passenger side toolbox? It has a small opening but extends out over the framerails. Just wondering...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, its an original 756. I'd bet lunch that it was a 1969. Here is a pic of a few things from the tool boxes. There are also the very heavy chains, misc small chains, a pair of binders and other stuff. Don't grimace at the pic, it all was sold to another 756 owner. My truck wasn't saveable.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Man that was a nice truck! It'll be fun trying to find those sheave blocks etc. Those pics are very helpful. I'll probably just end up fabricating the stake pocket adaptors and the trunnion support and find similar sheaves...

In terms of the chains used to support the gin-poles in their fixed position: Is 1/2" chain correct? I purchased a bunch of 30' Grade 80 chains new in the box at Aberdeen this year so maybe I can put them to use in this application?

Another question to put out there: Maximum safe loads....

I guess it all depends on the angle of the support chains/gin-poles....The smaller the angle between the chain and the bed surface, the lower the load rating...

If the chains were at a 44° angle with the poles a little past verticle over the rear, what would be the max safe load?

Attachments

LanceRobson

Mike, the warm fuzzy feeling is gas...:grin:

No. 2- Either white oak or black locust would be good choices. It's worth pricing vertical grain boards (with the grain running between the two wide faces of the plank instead of paralell to them) which will be much more dimensionally stable and be less likely to split or check. They would also hold paint much longer due to less movement with humidity changes. Both woods are very tough, weather resistant and shock resistant. If I had them both to pick from and the prices were close I'd go with the locust. Both are often available at local mills here. Some of the guys who travel with band saw mills and who do custom cutting cut for themselves too and have pretty good prices on air dried lumber. If you want me to make some calls, PM me with the dimensions you need.

If you have any band saw mills or traveling sawyers nearby your home their prices are often a little lower than a circular saw mills prices. The saw kerf is so much narrower with a band saw and they waste a lot less wood as sawdust and often price accordingly.

Bjorn, what wood did you use?

Lance

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance, I used locust for all three beds. Images attached show the work for Joel's truck.
Whit oak has a tendency to warp and if you want oak, use red oak, which is what the original decking was made of as far as I could tell from grain size etc of the left-overs from my bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gheez! Somewhere I have a workup that the Gov't did testing the truck. It has copious amounts of data. I have to see if I can find it. I recall that even with the stiff legs down, they gave up the test at 10,000#. The chain was 1/2" with grab hooks at both ends and a pear shaped loop at one end. Kinda like a long wrecker chain. I need to find that test data. The blocks can be found, there is even one on EBay but the guys wants like $800 for it. The only trunion that I've ever seen is the one I had. Trust me, there are days I wished I had it back so I could build a pipeline truck.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Wow thank you RC4x4 for the info! Yeah I was guessing between 8-10,000lb. I'd love to see that load testing report when its scanned. I wouldn't want to lift more than 1,500lbs. off the side....

Thank you Bjorn for those pics and insight on materials. I like your fence attachment on your ripsaw.

Yeah thanks for reminding me about saw and grain direction Lance... When I go to my local guy they like to give you what they want to give you so I'll have to take my time and ask more questions. I do have a friend with a WoodMizer too so I have a bunch of options...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch is rated 20,000 lb (1st layer), so you have a little to play with.
Are your "stiff legs" present? They are needed for side lifts.

About the decking, mine were cut with a big saw and the saw marks are perfect for a non-skid finish on top. The bottom only was planed to the 1-1/2 inch thickness.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion, Dave, is that it would be much easier to rip off the pipeline truck stuff and drop it onto a better truck. It would be a nightmare to restore what you have in the current frame, etc. Plus, you could sell off the old axles and make back your initial investment easy.

No.2Diesel

M756A2 Basic Issue Items

Hi,

I have since disassembled the 756A2 carcass into its individual component pieces back during the summer (time flies.) I have acquired some additional goodies to complete the package that were previously missing (a front winch and winch driveshaft) and was thinking about some of the specific BII that were required to be carried by the Pipeline Construction Deuce.

Everyone's pretty familiar with the "common BII" found in most deuces so it was fun to flip to the back of a newer Deuce Operator's manual and peruse these unique items. I had never given it a thought but some items made me go, hmmm.... maybe others on here can figure out their use and/or purpose.

Attached are pages from said manual. Highlighted items to be discussed. The unique items include:

- 2x Stake Pocket Adaptors (for side lifting)
- 2x 1/2" Chain Binders, lever type (for binding of misc. loads on bed?)
- 2x 3/4" I.D., 1 1/2" long Steel Pipe, Bushing ???? I have no clue!
- 2x 1/2" Chain, 23 1/2' long, Ring one end, Grab hook other end (holds gin poles when erected, to be stored in headache rack basket)
- 2x 7/16" Chain, 12' long (safety chain to prevent gin pole backlash)
- 2x Castle Nuts, 3/4" (I'm guessing for the U-bolt?)
- 3x Roller, Load, Plain Pipe Ends, 2" I.D., 48" long (I'm guessing for winching skid mounted equipment onto bed for easier unloading, see attached youtube vids on 1st page) anyone else have a guess?) That's why the one saddle toolbox is so long and narrow!!
- 2x Sheave assembly W/Clevis Pin end, one center mount, one tailboard mount
- 1x Sheave assembly W/Trunnion
- 1x Sheave assembly W/Hook End
- 1x U-Bolt, rear bed mounted (for holding up sheave assembly mounted near tailboard for rigging setup.

No pictures or diagrams in any TM show the use of the 2"x48" pipe rollers, nor what the 3/4" "bushings" are for.

I find it funny too, that the truck comes equipped with two load binders and two chains but that the two chains are lacking grabber ends on each end especially since there are three large tie down rings along each side of the bed. The larger 7/8"-1" wrecker chains have the ring and a grabber on the same end.... I already have many 25' lengths of 3/8" G70 load chain so this isn't a big deal I'm just pointing it out for discussion.

I guess they intend that you can fit the ring end through the tie down ring and use the load binder to grab the chain? It's better to have each chain end terminate around a tie-down and not rely on the binder as a specific tie-down end..... oh well...

Attachments

No.2Diesel

M756A2s in Vietnam

Hi,

Searching for a picture on the internet of an M756A2 in Vietnam has turned up very little. I did find one picture (have to find it) of a commercial oil field truck and bed in theater.

The other day I finally found a pic of one in an Engineer outfit in the Pleiku vicinity. The picture also shows a great example of an M151 Mutt "Guntruck." There it is parked in the back with the poles/rigging ready to go.

Does anybody out there have any pictures/experiences of Pipeline trucks "in theater?" Most Veterans I speak to say something like: "All I saw over there were M37s without winches, M151s and some Dueces. It really depended on the individual Soldier's job/assigned unit that determined what equipment they cam into contact with."

I have also attached a cropped version. Enjoy the pic!

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Thank's for asking. I have not been able to work on the conversion yet but I have been doing plenty of research and planning over the winter. I have also been acquiring parts etc. I was able to get most of my winter projects completed and this one is next on the agenda, yay! It's amazing how a rise in temperature speeds things up...haha. I'll probably be starting on it the beginning of May. I use the truck constantly so I have to make sure I have everything in order before I take it down.

I have compiled a collection of misc. "oil field truck" pics to see how they are setup and to see what features might be helpful. A few things interest me. They are versatile trucks and even in this day of high-tech equipment, the "winch or pole bed truck" is still used on the job all over the world. They're pretty neat.

I also studied the headache rack to see how I could better utilize that space/volume. I'll make a sketch of my intentions.

Also studied was the existing cargo bed...(I also have a spare 5ton bed) :cookoo: hmm... what to do with that bed? I was just going to cut it up but I have some ideas for it.

The only discouraging aspect to come is that upon closer inspection, the two side rails on the bed have a good amount of heavy rust blistering and thin areas. All other components are sound. Its funny how the side rails took it the worst.

So... I have lots of little ideas that add up to a big picture but hopefully I will be taking small bites and use restraint instead of turning out like my brother's seemingly never ending wrecker project haha.

In the meantime, to keep you and everyone excited... here are some more civvy oil field trucks in action, enjoy.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another bump to top, No.2Diesel - wakey wakey guys. Time to bolt something together and make with the coolness....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks