• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M8 series Front Axle Not Pulling

JEdmonds

I have an M817 with no mods as far as I can tell. Yesterday I got it hung up and both rr axles were spinning, nothing from the lr or the front. Anyone seen this before and/or one of you gurus make a suggestion about where to start the investigation? I’m mechanically inclined but I don’t know much about these particular trucks. This is my first one.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have an M817 with no mods as far as I can tell. Yesterday I got it hung up and both rr axles were spinning, nothing from the lr or the front. Anyone seen this before and/or one of you gurus make a suggestion about where to start the investigation? I’m mechanically inclined but I don’t know much about these particular trucks. This is my first one.
Sprag operated system. You should hear your sprag air in reverse or in 1st. If you don't start there.

Some folks have put diesel in the transfer case to clean em out to get rid of any gunk.

JEdmonds

Sprag operated system. You should hear your sprag air in reverse or in 1st. If you don't start there.

Some folks have put diesel in the transfer case to clean em out to get rid of any gunk.

Maybe this one: Seems to cover a lot of ground.

JEdmonds

One possible symptom I failed to mention is that most of the time when I shift out of reverse the air valve seems to stick open and starts bleeding off the air. The only way I’ve found to stop the leak is to shift into a forward gear and let off the clutch a little. Obviously if that escaping air is supposed to be engaging the sprag or something in the transfer case then that might explain the problem. And, I don’t think the front axle is pulling in reverse either. That “clunk” noise a few guys have mentioned seems to be absent on my truck in forward and reverse. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it do that but that valve has been leaking air ever since I got it so… I’ll update the post when I get time to dig into it but that will probably be several days or more.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
One possible symptom I failed to mention is that most of the time when I shift out of reverse the air valve seems to stick open and starts bleeding off the air. The only way I’ve found to stop the leak is to shift into a forward gear and let off the clutch a little. Obviously if that escaping air is supposed to be engaging the sprag or something in the transfer case then that might explain the problem. And, I don’t think the front axle is pulling in reverse either. That “clunk” noise a few guys have mentioned seems to be absent on my truck in forward and reverse. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it do that but that valve has been leaking air ever since I got it so… I’ll update the post when I get time to dig into it but that will probably be several days or more.
The thread I posted above gives you the test procedure for the poppet and sprag

JEdmonds

Haven’t had time to jack the front axle up to test the sprag. Ever since I got the truck I’ve heard that air release going into and coming out of reverse, but never going into or coming out of any forward gear so I know there’s a problem there and I assume that would be with the poppet valve.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...heard that air release going into and coming out of reverse, but never going into or coming out of any forward gear so I know there’s a problem there ...
you should never hear air from the poppet in any forward gear ... the poppet is activated between reverse and neutral only .. That is by design and on purpose. .. If anyone hears air leaking in any forward gear, there is a problem Houston

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sprag operated system. You should hear your sprag air in reverse or in 1st.
I am sure you forgot that the poppet air is supposed to sound off only when shifting between reverse and neutral , and neutral to reverse .. Forward gear positions do nothing to the sprag poppet valve on top of the tranny ;) ... Neutral is where the poppet puts the sprag in forward position , and why we should never roll backwards in neutral (and forward gears)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks