• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M800-Series Mechanics in Nevada

Ev1L_Magn3tism

Hello to all. I'm thinking about purchasing an M813 5-Ton Cargo Truck very soon. My main concerns, since I'm not very mechanically inclined, are vehicle maintenance and repairs. Does anyone know of any mechanics in the Southern Nevada/Southern California area that are good at working on these vehicles? If not, can I get some advise on possible ideas on where I can take such a large vehicle to have repairs/maintenance done? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Brad

quickfarms

Brad

I have a mechanic in southern california that I use.

These trucks were and still are commonly used on construction sites as water trucks.

They may have had a civilian tilt nose and cab roof added to them but a lot of the water trucks are 5 tons.

Keeping this in mind you may want to look up water trucks in the phone book and start driving by the companies yard to see who is using the 5 tons and ask them who does there work.

Also you can talk to the independent truck and heavy equipment repair places.

You could also talk to memphis, boyce, antelope valley to see if they can recomend anyone in the vegas area

91W350

The engine was pretty common in tbe civilian world. The rest will not cause you much trouble. Brakes are a little unusual but anybody mechanically inclined should be able to fix them with the tech manuals. There is nothing very complicated on those old horses.

rrrr

Learn the basics reading the TM's and the forum. These things will cost a lot if you let someone else do all the work !

Just normal operation is not cheap. Anything you can do to offset the cost is a good thing.

Ev1L_Magn3tism

Brad

I have a mechanic in southern california that I use.

These trucks were and still are commonly used on construction sites as water trucks.

They may have had a civilian tilt nose and cab roof added to them but a lot of the water trucks are 5 tons.

Keeping this in mind you may want to look up water trucks in the phone book and start driving by the companies yard to see who is using the 5 tons and ask them who does there work.

Also you can talk to the independent truck and heavy equipment repair places.

You could also talk to memphis, boyce, antelope valley to see if they can recomend anyone in the vegas area
Do you know if the LDT-465 multi-fuel engine that comes in the M35A2 2.5-Ton can be installed in the M813 without any modifications?

rrrr

I wouldn't recommend an LDT in a 5 Ton. The LDT manages to move an M35 OK but a 5 ton weights more and your not going to be happy. That's why they used the LDS motor in the 5 tons. As far as swapping, I couldn't say how much work it would be. Substantial would be my guess since they are completely different. You also need to consider transmission, transfer case, and drive assemblies.

If you want a 5 ton with the multifuel get an m54. If you lived closer I have a friend with a great truck for sale. Runs very well. He wants a newer 5 ton with the turbo cummins.

good luck !

I should be out there in a 3 or 4 months [when my house is sold]. I already have my house in vegas waiting. I been playing with armytrucks for 26years and work on heavy equipment for a living. I would be happy to helpout when I get outthere Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks