• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M800 series

M35A2

What is the difference between the 800 series 5 ton trucks like the M816 wrecker, M817 Dumper, M813 cargo to the other 5 ton trucks like the M51 dumper, M52 tractor, M54 cargo?

Is it just a matter of them being newer, or are the specs totally different? :?:

motorolanut

Mostly engine I do believe, M51,52,54's had turbo multi fuels similar but higher hp than the duece engine.
M800 series has the non turbo cummings engine.

Probably a few other minor details, but thats about it

M35A2

motorolanut said:
Mostly engine I do believe, M51,52,54's had turbo multi fuels similar but higher hp than the duece engine.
M800 series has the non turbo cummings engine.

Probably a few other minor details, but thats about it

Ah, I see, thanks for that. Not sure I want one with a cummins engine. I know they are a good engine, but with the price of fuel the way it is I'd be better off getting a multifuel as I can mix some different fuels to keep the price down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah yes! Thats one reason I try to stick with deuces. Less weight = less operating expense. Tires are cheaper too.

M35A2

Recovry4x4 said:
Ah yes! Thats one reason I try to stick with deuces. Less weight = less operating expense. Tires are cheaper too.

I'm getting brain ache about this wrecker Kenny. My heart wants it, as it is so rare over here and it is in very good condition. But my head is telling me it would be too expensive to run. This 5 ton long bed cargo he has sounds interesting. It's got a winch too. With the multifuel engine it would be cheaper to run, more practical from a show point of view (keeping gear and sleeping in the back) and you get a turbo which hopefully whistles. Beltring is on in a few weeks. I might hold out till then to see if any deuces are for sale.

What a dilema. If only I was rich, I would get the both of them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the long bed 5 ton is a multifueler? That would make it an M55A2. They are quite long with a 20' bed but you could take a whole tribe of folk camping in the back. As you know, I have a deuce tractor and a deuce wrecker. I often wished I still had a plain old cargo truck. What I have is really cool and both are keepers but the cargo has so many uses. Yeah, I'll get another one someday!

Desert Rat

The other difference is the tranny. The Cummins is governed at 2100 rpms. This means the OD in fifth gear is higher so the 800 series can keep up with the older 50 series.

poppop

Hey Andy. sorry I did'nt get to answer your questions yesterday. I have not checked the milage on the 813. I don't drive it much. I've put more miles on it hauling melons this year than the whole two years i have had it. It has the cummins motor and will do 55 mph at 2100 RPM. The trans shift pattern is different. 1st is down, 2nd is up, third is down, 4th is down and then 5th is up. I had to get used to going down twice and sometimes forget and go from third to fifth, but its real obvious when you do that. When loaded there seems to be a long way from third to forth. Tack it out in third and then strain in forth until you get the RPM's back up. It drives good and rides well for a big truck. The five tons are a lot bigger and heavier than the dueces. But I like big trucks.

M35A2

poppop said:
Hey Andy. sorry I did'nt get to answer your questions yesterday. I have not checked the milage on the 813. I don't drive it much. I've put more miles on it hauling melons this year than the whole two years i have had it. It has the cummins motor and will do 55 mph at 2100 RPM. The trans shift pattern is different. 1st is down, 2nd is up, third is down, 4th is down and then 5th is up. I had to get used to going down twice and sometimes forget and go from third to fifth, but its real obvious when you do that. When loaded there seems to be a long way from third to forth. Tack it out in third and then strain in forth until you get the RPM's back up. It drives good and rides well for a big truck. The five tons are a lot bigger and heavier than the dueces. But I like big trucks.

No worries Lloyd. I also love big trucks, the bigger the better. Only reason I would rather have a deuce is the running costs are cheaper. Unfortunately in this country a few hundred miles would cost a weeks wages in diesel. :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks