• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 series inner axel seal leaking? - I think...

Makincold

So while putting new tires and wheels on the M818 this weekend I notice leaking "fluid" on the inside of the hub area
I have searched inner axel seal and everyting I find talks more about gear oil coming out, sulfur smell, (familiar with gear oil smell) but this is red axel grease, not gear oil
What needs to be replaced to fix this issue? What seal? I'll search more and have the TM's downloaded but not sure yet what I'm trying to fix to search for the solution

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
is the leaking from the front boot, looks like it, if so you need to change the boot

Last edited:

augiedoggy

Heya Cold!
Its most likely your inner axle seal leaking. The gear oil from the differential leaks into the cv joint area, and is colored by whatever grease is in there as it dissolves it. I've replaced 1 side on mine and now the other has started leaking. Its a pretty easy job to replace just a BIG HEAVY brake drum. I got the seal with retainer from e-pay.
ooops.....maybe 819 is right just a boot, but you can take the grease plug (for greasing the cv joint) and see if gear oil runs out.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks like grease, not mixed oil, I would change the boot, if on the change there is no oil signs, you are good to go, signs of gear oil, then go to plan B

Last edited:

Scrounger

That looks to me to be a torn axle boot. However, an easy check to see if the inner axle seal is leaking is to remove one of the bolts that hold the front shield on. If there is any oil leaking from the seal it collects in the bottom of the steering knuckle and will pour out of the hole.

Westech

CPL
Yes there are zipper and non zipper just like the deuce. When I did mine a few years ago I used NON zipper boots. Eric's surplus has NOS non zipper. Also the aftermarket has made silicone boots. that's the way to roll.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks