• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 Series PTO repair and parts?? (M818 with winch specifically)

Makincold

So my M818 is leaking badly from the PTO assembly
Specifically I believe its the shaft seal
(From TM9-2320-260-34P2) (Figure 448. Transmission Power Takeoff Assembly and Mounting Hardware) (Part #2)
7061272 SEAL,PLAIN ENCASED (Part # 28 from the figure)

I have found this seal several places on the internet but cant find the (
7376534 RETAINER,PACKING) that goes with it (Part #27 from the figure)

(from
TM9-2320-260-34-2) ( 16-41. TRANSMISSION POWER TAKEOFF REPAIR ) ( #6. Remove two boots (9) and retainers (17) from PTO housing) (Discard retainers (17). ) (7. Remove two seals (16) from PTO housing (discard seals)

Do I really have to discard these retainers? Or can I re-use them?
If they cant be re-used where can I buy them?
Anyone have a photo of this part? Or of a similar repair ?
It looks as though (from TM9-2320-260-34-2) that I can change these seals with the PTO still attached to the transmission? Or do I have to remove the PTO and do this on a bench?

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim,
A lot of hardware can be re-used in a pinch, retainers (snap rings, cotter pins, self locking nuts etc.) The military had bins of new hardware and if available, use it. The seals can be replaced from under the truck. You can sit right up under there and get it done. The aft seal is pretty easy for some one with two left hands. Use the correct tools/snap ring pliers and it come right apart.
JC

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, don't discard them...!
This "retainer" (=cup) only holds the dust boot in place. Even with the boot still intact it can easily be pried out of the bore, with no damage or distortion- and thus, can be re-used.

Say so if you need more than the pics below; or if you want dimensions, eventually...

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks