• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 water pump and fan hub

catskillpond

Leak started where the fan hub mounts to the timing cover into the front timing cover. The adjustment bolt for the fan hub was missing and one of the hub bolts worked out and is rusted in place. Put a wrench on it would not move so im going to pull the radiator and replace all the belts and pump and fix the bolts.

Two questions are the pumps on the M939 series the same as the M809 series mine is a 1972?

If i remember the hub has two roller bearings anyone rebuild one figured good time to do it since it will be tore down?

Thanks for replies Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDawg41

You should disassemble the fan hub,clean and repack both bearings.Its easy to do while you have it off.There is a grease seal on the backside of the hub that you should replace also since it might get damaged when trying to remove it to get the rear bearing out.When I rebuilt my fan hub last year the grease inside mine was really old and starting to harden and might have been original except from occasional lube at the grease fitting.Be sure to never sieze the water pump bolts and copper gasket for future removal or belt adjustment.

catskillpond

Tore it all apart today bolts were completely rusted even in block got down to the pump mounting plate that mounts to block. Does anyone know if this mounting plate has a flange that sits inside of block?
Soaked it down and tapped all around but would not break loose let it soak overnight. Im told there is a paper gasket from the block to the back of the plate, what about black RTV silicone to replace gasket? Thanks for the help Scott

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
On the fan hub is a plug, pull the plug and install a grease fitting, on all civi units, there is a grease fitting, do not over grease, because it will go every where.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, The ring that supports the water pump is part of the plate and goes into the block 1/2-5/8 inch. I used a flat 2 prong nail pry bar as it is thin on the end. A few soft taps and it wedged itself in and I used it all around to gently work the plate off.

Pics from yesterday doing the same thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

catskillpond

809 fan hub seal part#

Im posting part # seal for the rear hub fan NAPA 17387 cost $ 9.00 Scott Also note when putting washer on shaft it does have a flat spot inside that has to set on flat of hub shaft. Took 15 minutes to realize that could not get the cotter pin in but no one saw that brain storming session. Seems we dont have the patience when we get older?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks