• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809, what to bring when collecting one from GL

rmgill

So a friend has bought an M818 from Redstone. I'll be helping or leading the charge on the recovery. What should I bring as far as consumables for the recovery?

Tools, LOTS of tools (/Neo)

2 Fresh Batteries
2 Fuel Filters
Oil
Silicone Brake Fluid
various solvents and a bit of grease...

What else?

gem1410

Get a battery load tester--I found that on these trucks 3 batteries would be good and the battery used to supply 12 volts to the cold start system would be stone dead--clean the cables well-- throttle linkages can bind so lots of good penetrating oil--air line to air up the tires--lots of insurance--4 gallons of antifreeze

Last edited:

Scrounger

The 800 series takes four batteries however if it is warm out you can get away with two. It also only uses one fuel filter in the fuel filter/ water separator housing and the Wix filter number is 33401. If you have the room to carry everything and the kitchen sink as far as tools, jacks, blocks of wood, air lines, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just make sure the emergency stop is reset before you try and start it. I would also bring some catch pans to collect the fuel from the filter housing and the drain when you bleed/ prime the fuel systems. A creeper is also nice to have.

HeadWizard

A big tow truck encase of major component failure.
Uship.com :-D

Send a truck after it.
1- Eliminates any potential liability
2- Eliminates days off work
3- Eliminates the appearance of Murphy at the GL site or on the way home.
4- Eliminates some fun :cry:
5- Allows you to work on it as time permits
6- Allows access to ALL you tools
7- Allows you to make a big scene when the roll back show up with your truck
8- Did I say eliminates potential liability of driving a big-ass untested truck down the road?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is not too sexy...but...tags and insurance would be nice. I am surprised no one suggested that.

rmgill

Well, I'll probably bring my deuce as a support truck since I have a LOT of tools and kit on it. But I'll need to bring other supplies specific for the 818. I want two fuel filters just in case.

Sure seems like a bunch of Jokers want to come help out too. :roll:

HeadWizard

Well, I'll probably bring my deuce as a support truck since I have a LOT of tools and kit on it. But I'll need to bring other supplies specific for the 818. I want two fuel filters just in case.

Sure seems like a bunch of Jokers want to come help out too. :roll:
I was serious about sending a wrecker after the truck.

I have a trucking company picking up my new 813A1 tomorrow in NJ for the 200 mile or so tow back home.

I did the math. Insurance, trip permit, fuel 2 ways, helper, (long) day off work, tolls (in my case), equals $400 minimum if Murphy does not show up (not including my lost work time).

Price to have it delivered to my parking lot where I can work on it at my own pace = $500.

No brainer.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don, make sure you remind the wrecker driver to put the t-case in neutral. Joe Young once had a truck delivered with the t-case in low range! You can imagine all the damage that did.

HeadWizard

Don, make sure you remind the wrecker driver to put the t-case in neutral. Joe Young once had a truck delivered with the t-case in low range! You can imagine all the damage that did.
The quote was for a flat bed or Landol truck. Let's hope that's what shows up with it. I'm pretty excited about this one as it's what I've wanted, M813A1 w/w. Will probably recondition it and keep it along with the bob truck and a 1009 - sell off the rest.

M818's

A can of ether if it is cold as the NHC's are kind of hard starters. Also does the brake have a firm pedal? We have had to do our fair share of master cylinders in GL lots. We ALWAYS carry a new master cylinder with us. It's about $130 bucks for a new 5 ton one. Personally I'm not a fan of rebuilding the old master cylinders as to me it's like putting new rings in an old engine that wasn't bored out- not a long term solution. Make sure you bring a hose that hooks to the bleeder and a good can of Kroil or PB Blaster. Bring a headlight and a spare brake light bulb as you have a 50% chance one is going to be burned out. Feel free to check out our website www.army6x6.com and go through the tech manuals. Good luck. The M818's are a great truck.

Ma

Andy

abh3

The first thing I'd do would be call the GL site and see if they'll let you drive it off, that's strictly verboten at some sites where EVERYTHING has to be hauled out regardless of condition, tags, insurance, phase of moon, race, religion or sex...

Montgomery will let you drive a vehicle out but at Eglin I have to haul things out with a lowboy or gooseneck equipment trailers, I dread the day when some bright college boy (or girl, girls can have bad ideas too!) decides it can be done only by 'licensed and insured commercial towing and recovery companies' and not by farmer me!