• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M811 throttle/governor

762NATO

I have an m811 batwing and after searching cannot seem to find the correct TM... the truck has a secondary hand throttle/governor (set RPM, engine speed will not increase/decrease with primary hand throttle/accelerator pedal) and the truck will not start without the governor set and I cannot seem to figure out how to disengage it to drive the truck... the gov is likened to a lever on the side of the fuel pump separate from the throttle lever. Anybody know where to find the correct TM or could just tell me how to disengage this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The data tag on you dash(near the map compartment) should have a list of TM numbers.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It has a aux. governor, when the pto is engaged there is a control valve that is opened that puts air to the aux. governor, make sure the valve linkage is connected to the pto, worse case, disconnect and cap the air line to the aux. governor, this will deactivate the aux. governor

762NATO

The data tag on you dash(near the map compartment) should have a list of TM numbers.
Totally forgot about that, thanks will do

It has a aux. governor, when the pto is engaged there is a control valve that is opened that puts air to the aux. governor, make sure the valve linkage is connected to the pto, worse case, disconnect and cap the air line to the aux. governor, this will deactivate the aux. governor
The governor is mechanically linked via cable to the lever on the fuel pump I described, I followed it from the dash to the lever on the pump. There is no air line in the gov. system either, it is connected via a cable much like the regular throttle or hand throttle, but instead of being connected to the normal throttle its connected to a lever on the side of the pump. I tried just returning the governor to its lowest position, and it just stalls the engine

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a picture of the gov linkage?

Also, please post what TMs are listed on the data tag.

Csm Davis

M811 is a 809 series truck as such the tm will apply but it will have a extra tm for the body. The pump you have sounds like a wrecker pump which would make sense. Take a picture of it a post it up.so we can compare it to a 816 pump. In the meantime look up 816/819 pump problems and see if it looks right. Not sure but sounds like a rear throttle is set or stuck maybe.

762NATO

The hand throttle/gov. knob on dash. You can either twist the knob for fine adjustment or push the button in the center and pull the knob in/out for quick adjustment
View attachment 472647

instructions for use, if I follow them the truck simply stalls
View attachment 472648

lever the governor controls connect to
2014-01-17_11-38-33_766.jpg

the whole pump. hand throttle and pedal connect to the bottom lever, gov to the top
2014-01-17_11-41-43_690.jpg

Also, the tm listed on the dash is TM-9-2320-260-10 and makes no reference to this system (skimmed thru the whole **** book last night.) and only one reference to the M811 where it lists its NSN. No TM #'s found anywhere else on the truck (except the LO and parts list)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That system is not the same as a wrecker.

The operational instructions are clearly listed there on the data tags.

You are following those instructions, right?

I'm guessing there is a separate TM for your specific body. I am not familiar with it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At what point does it stall?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure whatever the pto drives, is not stuck/seized?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That ip is the wrecker ip with the aux. governor, only has a cable instead of a air cylinder, the hand throttle looks like a venire cable instead of the standard hand throttle.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, mine pushes the arm forward(with the air cyl) to engage the governor.

His looks to pull back, to engage it.

762NATO

That system is not the same as a wrecker.

The operational instructions are clearly listed there on the data tags.

You are following those instructions, right?

I'm guessing there is a separate TM for your specific body. I am not familiar with it.
As soon as I push the MVS throttle to the closed position, the truck shuts off and will not restart unless it is pulled out and then at that point will only run at whatever rpm the hand throttle is pulled out to. The instructions on the dash do not help me at all and I cannot find any TM specific to this system and cannot drive the truck more than a few feet by slipping the clutch and using the MVS throttle

762NATO

IIRC, mine pushes the arm forward(with the air cyl) to engage the governor.

His looks to pull back, to engage it.
Sorry didn't see there was a page two when I sent the last reply. And that is correct, but the lever (I'm assuming you mean the one on the pump) controls the engine RPM depending on position and will only give me +/- 200rpm (I.E. if the engine is running at 1200, I can only rev to 1400 with the petal on the floor, not clear up to 3k) and when in the full forward position seems to cut off all fuel to the engine as it will stall every time. I will try to cycle the PTO to see if something is sticking, tried to move the lever today with full air pressure today and it would not move

5tonman1971

Are you sure that's not the emergency fuel cut off lever? My m813a1 as one and that almost sound like what you are talking about.

I am probably very wrong, I am not familiar with an m811 but it sounds like it's cutting the fuel. Or doghead could be on to something about whatever your pto drives could be locked up.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Are you sure that's not the emergency fuel cut off lever? My m813a1 as one and that almost sound like what you are talking about.

I am probably very wrong, I am not familiar with an m811 but it sounds like it's cutting the fuel. Or doghead could be on to something about whatever your pto drives could be locked up.
Naw 5 ton if you look at the pictures he has three cables and a wrecker style fuel pump

762NATO

figured out how to run the truck, may not be correct but I have found absolutely no info on this system and will post up my procedure and edit this as I get everything straight. Also, thank you to all who tried to help me in the diag of this big hoopty.

OPERATING AN MVS THROTTLE- CUMMINS ENGINE (will add engine spec later)

1-Pull MVS throttle knob/lever to full/outward position

2-start truck

3- Return the MVS throttle to lowest possible position (return until the truck begins to stall, then pull back slightly)
NOTE!!! Returning the MVS throttle (on my truck at least) to a full closed position will stall the truck

4- pull hand throttle to full outward position

5- adjust throttle outwards to desired RPM.

To operate the truck in driving, the MVS throttle must be in the full outward position.

I realize this is (mostly) what the panel on my dash read, but this is with a few added points and that some things may be out of adjustment. Just posting in case anybody else has this problem.

Some of my other problems were mis-adjusted linkages, the reason it would only idle at what ever I set the throttle to was because of a very poorly adjusted throttle linkage (idle at 1400 RPM) and I believe the MVS throttle is out of adjustment too. Its strange to me that everything is this far out of adjustment as this truck is 40+ years old and only has 200 hours on it, but who knows who tinkered with it during its life.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks