• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M812 Fuel Issues

donkdonk

Hey guys, I have been searching for a few days and still no luck with my issue. This truck was parked by me 5 years ago and ran fine. After changing fuel filters got it running with the help of ether. Problem is that it will only run at full throttle. I changed the fuel lines today and still same issue. Hoping not to have to get into the PT pump but not sure what else to try. I can get it started by pulling the throttle lever all the way out, but if you push in the throttle lever even one click it will die. Any ideas?

dmetalmiki

It would be SO nice (and more than a little helpful) If people needing help (and your good self) would put a FULL description of components they want trouble shooting. (just for the sake of a few letters(and 'all' the time that takes)). (It is actually a rule of posting actually).
Ok, to help you in your problem, I tried guessing, but have not come up with just what (the) "Hoping not to have to get into the >PT< pump": Is. Once we know I'm sure others will chime to assess the problem.

sandcobra164

You said you replaced the fuel lines but the symptoms suggest it's still leaking air from somewhere. I know the M812 has a single passenger side fuel tank but the symptoms are familiar with an M818 that lived in my yard for quite some time. In this case, it was the spider hoses on the fuel selector valve. Once again, your truck does not have that but you are likely chasing an air leak. You stated that you changed your fuel filter. I would wonder if I got the o-ring seated correctly on the canister, whether the rectangular washer is seated correctly in the top of the housing and the condition of the o-ring at the top of the bolt. A quick check would be to loosen the center bolt, lower the canister and see if it's full. If that all looks good, another thing I would try is to remove the fuel inlet from the fuel tank. They have been known to have small rust pin holes near the top of the pick-up tube. If you don't find anything questionable there, I would remove the suction line from the fuel filter, plumb in a line to a small fuel can and see how it runs. One last thing I would check would be the o-rings on the fuel primer. I don't think these would leak enough to cause a "wide open" or nothing situation but they can leak and cause problems.

Check a few things and narrow down the symptoms. The PT pump on these trucks is pretty reliable so let's rule out a few things before you start going down that road.

sandcobra164

I should have also mentioned the hard plastic lines going to the fuel primer. I had a M817 out here that was exhibiting these same symptoms as well. Capped the rear elbow that feeds the injection pump eliminating the primer all together. The only time you really need the primer is during fuel filter changes. I just fill the canister before re-installing and have had good luck with that. When I had my injection pump gone through on my M923 a few years ago, the injection pump shop provided a pipe plug to eliminate the primer. The old man said the PT pump has a good lift pump built onto the back end of it. So far he's been correct. It takes about 30 seconds of cranking when changing the fuel filter before she'll start trying to bump off. That is of course with a full fuel canister when re-installing.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, if it only runs wide open, make sure the throttle shaft is not stuck in the wide open position. I have seen that happen on engines that have been dormant for long periods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks