• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 axle boot and seal job, Socket Sizes needed?

SFCBush

I ordered boots for my front axle(1970 XM-813 5-Ton), and had planned on replacing them without disassembling the hubs. However, after getting 2-3 coffe cups of gear lube out of the bottom screw on one of the brushguards, I am going to back out of the job and get set up to replace the axle seals also. TM 9-2320-260-20 shows how to do the job, but the TMs don't say anything about needed tool sizes.

What size/type of socket is needed for the inner and outer adjusting nuts? Are they just very large off the shelf sockets or something special? Where do I find them if they are not off the shelf?

I've seen reference to the need for a slide hammer type of seal puller, any other tools needed that might not be in an average tool box?

Thanks.

Kevin Bush

SFCBush

Thanks for the reply

Wow, I'll need to scrounge those sockets up somewhere, don't have anything even approaching those sizes.

Thanks again

Kevin

SFCBush

Torque on socket?

The TM wants 250-400 ft/lbs on the outer nut, those wheel nut sockets can do that without rounding out? Or do you finish torquing it with something else?

Kevin

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if the 5 ton is the same or not, but a pipe wrench is what I used to remove my spindle nut. Worked great!

Attachments

SFCBush

Thanks to All!

Groundog
Thanks for the offer, I'll be needing these again though, so I'll be trying to locate my own set first.

USMC6062
Thanks for the part #'s, that will save a lot of time, I'll give them a call.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks