• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 cold start procedure

timgc78

I am realizing that my 250 cummins is a pig to start in cold weather.
I've never used the intake glow plug and fuel injection system.
Anyone out there familiar with the procedure?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

505m818

Find that pulling the hand throttle out about 1/3-1/2 ways and cranking for about 5 seconds then trying to start it with the throttle closed starts mine right up but that’s only in the 20’s here in New Mexico, not sure where your at

Reactions: HDN

505m818

Find that pulling the hand throttle out about 1/3-1/2 ways and cranking for about 5 seconds then trying to start it with the throttle closed starts mine right up but that’s only in the 20’s here in New Mexico, not sure where your at
Oh and that’s without the glow heater, mine doesn’t work

Reactions: HDN

162tcat

My m817 would usually start after about 15 seconds of cranking when below freezing. If it didn’t a small shot of starting fluid would do it. My glow plug didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

My pre-heater works. Yes, do pull the throttle handle out a few clicks first.

As often happens, I read the instructions way too literally and was initially operating the thing incorrectly. After heating up the glow plug and flaming some fuel through it, keep the pressure up and crank the engine *while* some fuel is flaming into the intake. The instructions tell you to keep pumping for a period of time even after the engine has started.

How easily the engine starts is dependent upon the condition of the engine and the fuel system. Seriously, step away from the ether if at all possible.

FWIW, my truck will start easily down into the teens if I just use the flame heater properly. (I haven't had a chance to try it in single digits and it doesn't get below 0F where I live).

162tcat

A light sniff of ether won’t hurt the 855. Less than a second of spray would wake her up on a cold morning. Block heater is the best way to go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks