• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Gooseneck Ball behind bed

JarheadMtn

I have a 16' gooseneck dump trailer that I have been hauling behind my pick up. Problem is the pickup doesn't weigh enough to have enough traction going up some of my steep rocky dirt roads. I've ended up spinning my tires and having to dump my load and pull the empty trailer up the hill.

Has anyone put a gooseneck ball behind the bed of an 813? It looks like I could weld up a hitch off the rear of the frame so the gooseneck would connect close to the truck to prevent unloading my front truck axle. Plus I could put some weight on the truck bed to gain more traction. Any thoughts?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There was someone on here that has made an adapter where you can use a gooseneck trailer with the pintle hitch. There were pictures but I'm not a search guru. I think the pictures showed someone pulling a load of hay behind a 5 ton or deuce.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a 16' gooseneck dump trailer that I have been hauling behind my pick up. Problem is the pickup doesn't weigh enough to have enough traction going up some of my steep rocky dirt roads. I've ended up spinning my tires and having to dump my load and pull the empty trailer up the hill.

Has anyone put a gooseneck ball behind the bed of an 813? It looks like I could weld up a hitch off the rear of the frame so the gooseneck would connect close to the truck to prevent unloading my front truck axle. Plus I could put some weight on the truck bed to gain more traction. Any thoughts?
Buy a Lunette ring that has a long shaft. Blow a hold thru it and add a ball to it. Weld 3/8" angle iron to each length side of the ring for added support and across the draw bar.

Buyers Product BDB12281

Attachments

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A ball behind the axle should not effect the 813. I have used a gooseneck as a bumper pull in some of the odd spots I get my self into. I.e. break downs. I can say that balls are not designed to have a constant force that is essentially trying to pull the ball from the socket. If your neck has the tube type of adjustment you could build a complete hitch that slides into the neck. This would eliminate the ball completely and just be a rigid mount ring.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There was someone on here that has made an adapter where you can use a gooseneck trailer with the pintle hitch. There were pictures but I'm not a search guru. I think the pictures showed someone pulling a load of hay behind a 5 ton or deuce.

The instant I read the first post, this is what I thought of as well. I can see the pictures in my head clear as day but I can't find the thread.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah could easily use a medium bar or medium heavy and just weld a plate across the legs and pin the legs to the trailer. Seems easy enough