• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Grill Differences?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a small difference but I wondered if it is just a in process change in the 15-20 year manufacturing run? My 813(1970) has a heavy welded flat steel grill guard while the 813 right next to it at GSA had a much lighter tubular style grill. One cheaper/better than the other or just luck of the draw?

Attachments

shootiniron

My 71' has the welded flat bar grill with the wire mesh screen also.The sreen protected all of the radiator except for the bottom so I borrowed a piece from a deuce grill I have to complete it.Best of both worlds?

Last edited:

M813A1

It has been said the the flat bar grille were meade for the marine corp and the lighter tube style grille were oredered for the army !! But i haxe sen the flat bar grille on army issued trucks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My 73 M819 has the flat bar grill, I like it better then the screen, more of a MEAN military look

LanceRobson

If your not going to bounce the truck off trees the type of guard you want is, I guess, a matter of choice. The slat style will take a lot more abuse, though.

For deuces, the mesh guard came in two lengths. A full length one for trucks without winches and a shorty for winch trucks. I'm not sure if the M809 one came in two lengths.

Personally I'd like to have the mesh guard on all our trucks. It's cheap insurance against tree branches and tire thrown rocks. Our deuces have them but I need one for the M813A1 W/W.

Lance

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I understand the story correctly, the tube grill was the original one, but it tended to hold water and rust out.
With this in mind the Marines, who have a tendency to drive their vehicles in the surf, specified the slat grill when they ordered their M809 series trucks.

Army/USAF trucks seem to have either, but predominantly the tube grill. In all my digging for photos, I have never seen a USMC truck with a tube grill, even ones taken over from the Army (which the Marines do a lot of).

David Doyle will, of course, have the definitive answer on this.

Cheers

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '73 M814 has the tube style grill, but does not have the front weight plate-It looks like it was never installed.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flat bar grille says, " I am M-series...there is NO substitute!" The flat Bar grille ties the family relation of the 5-Ton and Deuce together. The tube style grille looks tacky and cheap. I have never been fond of it. That's why I bought a truck with the nicer grille.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks