• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 Not Starting

Jared

Hello,

Have an M813 that is not starting. Has started right up most times in the last couple of months that I've had it. Cranks strong. Lots of white smoke during cranking. Air filter is new.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jared

CGarbee

Sounds like one of my trucks on a cold day when I haven't started it for a while and get impatient and don't wait for the plug to warm up the intake... So, check to make sure that it's power feed is hooked up and that it is working (you are using it, aren't you). Also, don't forget to pump up the fuel in the primer system before you crank it...
I'm basing this off your being in NH which is a bit colder than the VA mountains where I am currently located...
The smoke shows that you are getting some fuel, but not enough revolutions, warmth, or atomazation for it to light off...
In a pinch, you can give it a small shot of ether to the air cleaner intake, but you want to be real easy with it and not use it often as your engine will become addicted to it...
So, make sure that the cold start system is working, and utilize it, and you should be fine.

The 250 is a bit more cold natured than any of my other diesels...

Good luck.

OldGoat

As a newbie hear, what do you do to make sure the power feed is hooked up & working (exactly what is the power feed?) , and how do you pump up the fuel primer system? I watched a few of the 813's at Drexel do this exact thing & not start is why I am curious.

CGarbee

If you use either and the cold start system you will not like the outcome.
small explosions should be contained in the cumbustion chambers and not in the air box.
Good point. I should've mentioned that by "in a pinch" that I meant that he could give it a shot of ether (a small one) if the cold start setup wasn't working...

As far as getting the presure up, that's what the t-handled pump to the right of the steering column is for. The power feed glow plug runs from the battery box (picked from the positive post on the low battery so you have 12v) up through its switch to the plug in the intake manifold. Check to see that it is hooked up and use a voltmeter to ensure that you are getting power to the plug.

Operation of the system is explained on the plate on the dash as well as the operator's manuan. Diagnostic and repair is in the trouble shooting guides in the maintenance manual...

Jared

I wouldn't have thought that low 40s was considered cold enough for cold start procedures but I'll take your word for it. No light with the glow plug switch on and no movement on the ammeter so that could be a problem. Will trouble shoot that first.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Make sure that someone has not pulled out the engine kill handle. Even if its pushed back in i have to reset it manually in all three of my 250s.
Do NOT spray that baby with much ether as they become quickly addicted as stated above.

Wolf.Dose

To my oppinion two possibilities:
First (due to white smoke): The charging pump is not filling the injectors propperly, therefor no sufficiant fuel injection at the required pressure.
Second: Engine kill is not going back automatically the the normal position. Manual help required for that or overhaul of the system.
Do not forget:Most of these vehicles are sold surplus nowadays due to problems which the Army can not handle any more.
Wolf

MotorTMan

Jared,

My 813 is the same way; starts great when its fairly warm out, but below 30 degrees, it gets tough :evil:, typical of Cummins or even the Macks. If you follow the instructions on your dash for cold weather starting faithfully, it will start right up. I never have cold weather starting problems with mine. The heavy white smoke is normal. Cranking up to 15 seconds wont hurt, as long as you have good batteries. I really dont recommend using Ethyl Ether....Not good on a motor. Hope it works out for you. :razz:

Jared

Followup to M813 not starting. Problem was a bad glow plug. The truck came with 2 car batteries. I looked at different battery options and decided to put in 2 big ones rather than 4 6TLs. This truck is intended (at least for now) to be a functional truck rather than a restoration so I didn't feel like spending the money for 6TLs.

Bought 2 908Ds from a local industrial battery supplier. He installs on the road for a lot of his industrial customers. So when he was asking about cores he said he would install the new ones and take the cores at the same time. Not bad for about $165 per battery. These are big batteries and take up most of the box. They are just a little too tall so before too long I plan to modify a couple of battery boxes to let them sit lower.

This truck is new to me and although I'd seen the single extra wire in the battery box I didn't realize what it was for so couldn't make sure it was connected "before" the second battery rather than "after". So the glow plug was wired across 24V. That's why it didn't last very long.

Bought a new one from Army Surplus of Dodge City. The threads in the intake fitting got screwed up taking the old plug out. I tried cleaning them out with a tap but that just made them worse. Ended up getting a take out intake section housing. Installed that with the new glow plug and it started right up.

There seems to be a residual pressure indicated on the primer pump gauge even after starting.

I had a Deuce before that did more sitting than anything else. I do like the sound of a whistler turbo but I really like the sound of the big Cummins.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good that you figured out what was the matter and got it fixed. In a pinch, I use a trick an old catskinner taught me when I was just a kid. Fire hazard but much better for the motor than ether.

I just take a rag soaked with diesel, light it on fire, and hold it near the intake while someone else cranks it. Works every time.

All the usual hazard warnings apply :-D.. Like you could burn yourself or your truck or both up. don't use with ether, etc.