• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m813 over the road reliability

JDToumanian

Before you do anything, even hook a trailer to it, go do a 800mile drive. You will never want to do it again.
I agree. Our annual Tower Park convoy is 400 miles each way, and by the time it's done I don't want to drive the truck until the next year.... And I'm hardened to the discomforts like Kenny. Four times a year? No way.

The gear oil in the axles started to boil and spray out
What?! GL-1 wouldn't do THAT, would it? :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my M813A1 and I like my 16.00-20s, but I would not want to use it as you intend. I max out at 67mph, on the freeway. And that is pushing the truck hard. I don't think the Mil-surplus tires are rated for more than 50 or 55mph.
Every trip in these trucks is an adventure, for good or bad. I would not want to have my weekend plans messed up with a repair or breakdown.
A lot of people like to drive/ride these trucks for a short distance, but the long trips are enjoyed mostly by a few select wackos.
I would go any distance for a Military Vehicle Event, but I would find an alternative method for just transportation. (even with every mod listed)
Dang, now I'm a wacko! I've so many titles, I can't remember them all.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Proud member of the long haul club.

but not attending many meetings these days rofl

Dang, now I'm a wacko! I've so many titles, I can't remember them all.

8)

jaxsof

Ive driven some LOOOOONG miles in one or another MV while wearing garbage green. HMMWVs, CUCVs(PU and Blazers), M37s, M809s, M939s, HEMTTs, the occassional RT Forklift, even an FMTV or two. Not a one of them was comfortable. A few of the 939s were fast. Had a friend that was pulled over by a Pennsy Trooper for doing 80+ in one. I always liked the 813s, but if you want to be comfortable, fast and safe, heed the advice, and get a commercial rig, or even a 916. These truck seem to be magnets for idiots(hold on a sec) not the operators, but those around us. I had a woman driving a minivan full of kids once pull in front of a deuce I was driving(as fast as I could, 52mph down hill with a tail wind). She was so close I couldn't see her rear window. What do you do? You toot the horn, she brakes and you've killed a bunch of kids. Has anyone here noticed the brakes on these things are a tad lacking?.

Honestly Moose, I love my truck, all these guys love theirs. but part of loving them is understanding their limitations.

And as to cargo, I have a 1-ton dodge that carries anything I need hauled, and has gone places it really shouldn't have had to. Has AC, heat, a radio, and nice seats. gets 10mpg, too.

I hope we've managed to help.

Last edited:

91W350

Pickup a one ton Dodge with a Cummins in it and make the trip safer, faster, more comfortable, on a quarter of the fuel and a quarter of the insurance cost! In the summer, after a hot day or weekend on the sand, I would think that air conditioned ride home would be wonderful! In Kansas you would need a CDL for a M813. I love them too...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Out in the desert in the summertime a deuce or 5 ton is a rolling oven.....there is no way to get cool in one with the sun blasting down and the heat from the engine coming up through the floor.

Even a 915 or 916 sucks in the desert (no AC).....I spent a couple of weeks driving them at Fort Irwin, CA (that is where **** sends people to cool off). Take the previous advice....get a civy rig for a toy hauler.

As stated...get a Dodge Dually and a gooseneck trailer.....there is a lot to be said for comfort.

cessnatwin

I'm with Kenny, a 915 or so would be more up your ally. I just made a 500 mile trip with an 818 on road tractor tires not non-directionals. These trucks DO NOT have tons of gumption, they are SLOW, and get slower on a grade pulling any weight. The big tires will kill your power for towing off, and 75 mph Oh **** no! You will drive yourself nuts in this thing for 900 miles, did any one mention the comfort! 5 mpg, which I do not care about yet it does add up. Wait till you get in bad weather, better have great wipers, a defroster, and a/c to clear the windows would be great, even a heater would be nice! I have an 813 and 818, and they are low end off road torque trucks, the interstate is not the place where they are happy!

AMGeneral

I'll add to the fellows before and say a 915 or 916 tractor converted to a cargo would definetly be more suited to your uses it sounds like.

Having owned and driven several 800 series and M39 series trucks over long distances(all over the east coast basically) while towing heavy loads as well,I can say for certain,they are not well suited for OTR useage.

That is exactly why I purchased a 915A1 tractor and M172A1 lowboy,MUCH better suited for road use,more comfortable for the driver,better braking system,better accessability of parts at just about any truck dealer/parts house and better top speed(60 mph sustained speed),still have the 5 mpg fuel mileage,but you also have a much better selection of rear axle ratios for better road speed and engine life/fuel mileage.

Last edited:

XanRa

just a side note for all of you saying a civi otr tractor, the problem is it has to be able to go offroad too, and do so reliably

a recomondation if you could afford and find one a international mxt or cxt expensive but capable and comfertable

Alredneck

Banned
Folks on here lack imagination!

If the man wants to do it, it can be done.

It can be done safely as well. Getting creative on finding parts and doing youre own wrenching will save you big bucks. My turbo, exhaust manifold, intake, crossover tube, and misc,cost me $430 and change.. It would of been 400 even if I had cash but I used plastic. It was also a remaned unit that hadnt been used since rebuild. Oil cooled piston being required is a joke! The are not the thing that kills these motors, it is to much boost for the compression ratio being ran. Reduce back pressure drop EGTSs, regulate max boost, save motor. There are a number of things that can be done at a reasonable expense to keep these trucks alive and running. Whats the cost of keeping up a OTR rig, ALOT! insurance is alot also. Its all give and take! Its your truck and you are responsible for it on the road! Do what you can live with!