• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 repower

Str8Jacket

I used the advanced search on here and looked through every thread I could find on this so if I missed it I apologize.

But has anyone dropped in an 8.3/auto out of a 939 series into their 813 or the like? I like the look of the 813 but the engine/trans from the later models. Seems like it would work just fine.

sandcobra164

I have not read a thread on here concerning such a conversion. I'm quite certain a good fabricator could pull it off with no trouble. If you decide to go that route, I'd get an entire donor truck so I could swap the backing plates on the axles out and rob the components to add air brakes to your truck while you're at it. You will also need the transfer case as the Allison trans is a direct drive in 5th and the M939 trucks have an overdrive transfer case to make up for the lack of overdrive in the trans. Just don't drive the M939 truck prior to doing it. I love the looks of the M809 series trucks and M35 series trucks but look to your left at a picture of me and my big ole' square hood! They are nice and comfy trucks in comparison. I've had plenty of seat time in all 3 but I prefer the overall comfort of my M923.

Last edited:

Str8Jacket

I have not read a thread on here concerning such a conversion. I'm quite certain a good fabricator could pull it off with no trouble. If you decide to go that route, I'd get an entire donor truck so I could swap the backing plates on the axles out and rob the components to add air brakes to your truck while you're at it. You will also need the transfer case as the Allison trans is a direct drive in 5th and the M939 trucks have an overdrive transfer case to make up for the lack of overdrive in the trans. Just don't drive the M939 truck prior to doing it. I love the looks of the M809 series trucks and M35 series trucks but look to your left at a picture of me and my big ole' square hood! They are nice and comfy trucks in comparison. I've had plenty of seat time in all 3 but I prefer the overall comfort of my M923.
Looks like I have some gathering to do. I am contemplating a Crew Cab upgrade for the 813 too. This site is gonna get me in trouble with the Wife.

Do you think it would be easier to just swap the sheetmetal over from the 813 to the 923 (for example) instead of changing out the running gear in the 813? I havent looked up the dimensions of the frames yet, just spitballing ideas here.

Str8Jacket

I guess sometimes living outside the US has it's perks.

Anybody think I'll have a problem fitting the 8.3 with an intercooler under the hood of the 813? From the pictures it looks more narrow in the nose that a 923. Thinking about it though, since it fits the 855, I don't think I'll have an issue.

Str8Jacket

Yes a stick would be great but my wife will use the truck to pull the horse trailer too. So I want to keep it "user friendly". That's also the reason for the crew cab. I've been figuring out a plan for ultimate sound deadening to go along with the stereo and possibly Super Duty seats.

red

With the smaller 8.3 you could move the radiator back from the grill and fit an intercooler in there without much trouble.

The frame is the same between the series, different body mounts and some more accessories bolted to it on the 939 trucks.

If you don't have the 813 yet I'd buy an 923a2 or 925a2 in your position. Much cheaper to buy the cab/front body of the older 809 series and less work than buying basically 2 complete trucks to meld into 1.

Str8Jacket

With the smaller 8.3 you could move the radiator back from the grill and fit an intercooler in there without much trouble.

The frame is the same between the series, different body mounts and some more accessories bolted to it on the 939 trucks.

If you don't have the 813 yet I'd buy an 923a2 or 925a2 in your position. Much cheaper to buy the cab/front body of the older 809 series and less work than buying basically 2 complete trucks to meld into 1.
You and I are on the same page. Either a 923 or a 931, sell the body and find an 813, 814, 818 etc cab/nose. I'd like to put a 8' drop side bed behind the crew cab. I bet I could even keep the steering column and shift tower from the 923 and make it work in the 813 :hammer:

sandcobra164

You and I are on the same page. Either a 923 or a 931, sell the body and find an 813, 814, 818 etc cab/nose. I'd like to put a 8' drop side bed behind the crew cab. I bet I could even keep the steering column and shift tower from the 923 and make it work in the 813 :hammer:
Awesome idea sir! I think there would be alot less work involved with swapping sheetmetal from an M809 series truck. There will still be some fabrication work involved but likely alot less if you start with a solid chassis and drivetrain. You wouldn't even have to find a running M809 series truck, you just need the cab, fenders, hood and grill. For what it's worth, M35 cab tubs are interchangeable with the M809 series trucks when it comes time to do your swapping.

Str8Jacket

Awesome idea sir! I think there would be alot less work involved with swapping sheetmetal from an M809 series truck. There will still be some fabrication work involved but likely alot less if you start with a solid chassis and drivetrain. You wouldn't even have to find a running M809 series truck, you just need the cab, fenders, hood and grill. For what it's worth, M35 cab tubs are interchangeable with the M809 series trucks when it comes time to do your swapping.
Good to know. Not to sound too much like an FNG but by cab tubs you mean?

Str8Jacket

The m809 series cab and m44 series cabs are the same. Tub, doors, windshields, and roof are the same. Fenders and hoods are different though.
I thought that was the answer but I don't like assuming anything. Once I gather all my pieces for this Frankenstein project I'll either need to build a hoist next to my garage or convince the wife I need an 816 too :whistle:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
IMHO the flip nose of the 900 series 5 ton trucks beats the crap out of standing on your head to work on stuff under the hood. I've had both series of vehicles and barring an MV rat rod project will never go back to the 800 series.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks