• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M813 steering clunk

Shirehorse

So, long story short, I had the steering propeller shaft and steering column out of the truck. Upon reassembly, when steering left or right, there is an audible clunk/pop from the area of the steering gearbox. When observed from the outside, a slight movement of the steering gearbox was seen.

I tightened one loose mounting bolt, but i can still hear the popping/clunking. The only thing I can figure is that I didn't orient the shaft correctly, or that the steering column is in or out too far. I had the propeller shaft marked as per the TM, but needless to say, the markings are no longer there.

The propeller shaft, U joints, and tie rod ends are freshly greased per the lube order, and all travel freely without Binding.

Anyone experience anything similar?

I drove a DM Mack and changed out the steering shaft when I put it back together I lined up the u joints like on a drive line and had a hard spot that would bind I then changed timing 1/2 turn at the slip joint and it was fine .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks